Re: [Genealogy Research Club] new to the group

  • Forrest G. Plumstead
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2003
      Here are some good free or nearly free sites that I use all the time.

      www.rootsweb.com Roots web
      www.familysearch.com Latter Day Saints Genealogy site.
      www.gencircles.com GEDCOM sharing site.
      research time without cash.
      http://www.worldgenweb.org/ From here you can find the internet address
      of any county that participates in the GenWeb project.
      search engine it will let you look at a GEDCOM sharing database and the
      Social Security Death index (USA) for free. They also offer a free
      family tree software which I have used for over a year now without
      complaint.

      This should help you get started. Now a couple of words of caution:

      GEDCOMS are ** always ** considered **secondary sources**. This means
      that the possibility for error is quite high. Use the information in
      these as starting points for further research until you find ** primary
      sources **. Primary sources are things like Census, Birth Certificates,
      Marriage Licences and Marriage certificates, Death certificates,
      Christening or Baptismal certificates or records. Maybe obits and maybe
      cemetery marker. While all these have a much higher rate of being more
      accurate then secondary, don't even consider them as "Sealed in cement.".
      Mistakes can still occur and sometimes the people who filed out the
      records had wrong information, no information, or out and out lied about
      information to cover up a scandal. (Say it isn't so!) If while you are
      going through GEDCOMS you find things that are incorrect about your
      family in somebody else's GEDCOM please let them know, but do so gently.
      The fastest way to get ignored by someone who has posted his/her GEDCOM
      is to send a letter similar to this one:My great great grandaunt Sue Mae
      was never married! How dare you put something on the internet about my
      family without first checking the resources? The reason the info was
      incorrect was because like me the person who had the wrong information
      keeps an expanded family tree. When he finds a GEDCOM which contains a
      family member he downloads the full GEDCOM and merges it with his own and
      edits out the duplicates. The GEDCOM can grow to 35,000 to 50,000+
      individuals. Would you like to verify all that data? So just let them
      know great great grandaunt Sue Mae is in my family and was never married.
      Sign up for e-mail Lists, you can find them surnames, or for locations.
      **Very important** After signing up like you did for this list, take a
      few days and read the messages that they send. It will not take long to
      get a feel for the List's social norms. You will find that some are very
      helpful people. You will find some, who love to torture newbes to the
      list. You will find out what the list as a whole will tolerate and will
      not tolerate. Then carefully post a hello message like the one you
      posted to this list. Be aware however that there are some lists out
      there that are just plain old clicks which do not tolerate new members,
      un subscribe from them quickly, or you will lose sight of you genealogy
      goals and just get into one flaming match after another. Lists are a
      fantastic tool. Through lists I have located immediate ancestors and
      even living relatives that I did not know about.
      If you don't have research sources to be able to help others since the
      group has helped you. Perhaps there are other talents and resources that
      you do have that you can offer help. For example quite often I see
      something like Non-Gen need computer help. Now I'm pretty handy with
      a computer so I try to help out with these types of messages.
      Hope some of this helps, and above all have fun!

      ><>Forrest Plumstead<>< San Antonio, TX, USA
      Researching PLUMSTEAD,
      BELL,CLEMENS,DOEHRING,GILDEHAUS,HEALD,HOBSON,MARTIN,RISSER,SCHROEDER,
      SIMPSON,SPERRY,THAYER,VINKE,WIRTH,ZANDERS

    • Nancy Mancuso
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003
        ---Can you tell me how to go by getting one free
        family tree software??

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest G. Plumstead"

      • v plumley
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
          Hello Nancy,
          welcome to the group!

          Isn't Forrest Plumstead just the greatest!

          I can't add anything more to what he said just wanted
          to say hi and happy hunting.
          If you need help ask.

          =====
          May God Bless you and Keep you Safe
          yours truly
          Ginny

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Aliscia Dupre
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
            Mr. Plumstead,
            This is by far the most help I have had! Thank you so
            much for your candid comments, informattion and words
            of caution. Looks like I am in for alot of fun...
            Aliscia

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • Forrest G. Plumstead
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
              Click on this link www.ancestry.com on the index page(first page) there
              is a section labeled Build a Family Tree. Click on the link labeled FREE
              Genealogy Software . Download run setup and that's all there is to it.
              If you have questions about the program don't hesitate to send them to
              me. I don't know all the answers, but I've been using the program for
              over a year, I know my way around.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
                ---Hello,
                Thank You for Welcome me to group Nancy !!!!

                http://tax.yahoo.com