Re: [Genealogy Research Club] new member and questions

  • Linda Fairbanks
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2003
      Brian have you tried to find a map from the time
      period that you are looking for.? I ran into a
      similar problem and later found out that the town I
      wanted was split between the three surrounding towns
      ans the records was sent to one of them.

      The town I wanted was Philidelphia, VT a small town on
      top of a local mountain. the three neighboring town
      split it up according to the then existing town
      boundaries. the were moved until the new town lines
      met and the old lines were ereased.

      this may not be what happened in your case but it
      might be worth looking into.

      Sincerly
      Linda
      gramavan642@...
      --- "Brian Robbins <deimos1@...>"

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Brian Robbins <deimos1@mb.sympatico.ca>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2003
        {snip}

        Yes, I have a railroad map for North Dakota, dated 1889. The
        community is located just inside the McHenry County line. But,
        looking at maps from the early 1890's, the town does not exist.

        I know that it had existed at one point, I even had an email from
        someone who has the history book for ND.

        This is THE stumbling block in my research so far.

        Brian
      • tfw4321
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2003
          -Brian, did you know that the USGS has a data base that has every
          place that is in the US. Creek name, fork in the road,ect. then see
          if the records were moved to a larger town near by or the county.
          local historical groups are great help. T-- In
          genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Robbins <deimos1@m...>"