new member and questions

  • Brian Robbins <deimos1@mb.sympatico.ca>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2003
      hello, all.

      I am new to this list, but not new to genealogy. I have hit a dead
      end with my paternal grandfather. He states that he was born in Ely,
      north Dakota, around 1880.

      The problem lies in the fact that this community no longer exists,
      neither does any mention of him in the area census. Does anyone have
      any suggestions as to where I should take my next step?

      Thanks for listening.

      Brian
    • Linda Fairbanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2003
        Brian have you tried to find a map from the time
        period that you are looking for.? I ran into a
        similar problem and later found out that the town I
        wanted was split between the three surrounding towns
        ans the records was sent to one of them.

        The town I wanted was Philidelphia, VT a small town on
        top of a local mountain. the three neighboring town
        split it up according to the then existing town
        boundaries. the were moved until the new town lines
        met and the old lines were ereased.

        this may not be what happened in your case but it
        might be worth looking into.

        Sincerly
        Linda
        gramavan642@...
        --- "Brian Robbins <deimos1@...>"

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Brian Robbins <deimos1@mb.sympatico.ca>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2003
          {snip}

          Yes, I have a railroad map for North Dakota, dated 1889. The
          community is located just inside the McHenry County line. But,
          looking at maps from the early 1890's, the town does not exist.

          I know that it had existed at one point, I even had an email from
          someone who has the history book for ND.

          This is THE stumbling block in my research so far.

          Brian
        • tfw4321
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 2003
            -Brian, did you know that the USGS has a data base that has every
            place that is in the US. Creek name, fork in the road,ect. then see
            if the records were moved to a larger town near by or the county.
            local historical groups are great help. T-- In
            genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Robbins <deimos1@m...>"