Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Looking to go back further than My grandfather

  • Forrest G. Plumstead
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
      For Nova Scotia goto the Canadian GenWeb. You should be able to go to
      the providence of Nova Scotia, from there if you know the county you
      could find the County's GenWeb page. I have found that if you can find a
      local List board it is very helpful. I signed up for the Brant Co List
      in Ontario, and found someone very helpful who was able to research the
      Paris Cemetery and came up with very useful information! Happy Hunting!

      ><>Forrest Plumstead<><
      "I don't believe I'll ever see,
      A finished genealogy!"
      (Except the Bible.)

    • Linda Lou Flewin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
        Hi Forrest, thanks for the help, I have been to this one but the Nova Scotia one is appallingly unhelpful, now if you go to the New Brunswick one that is very good indeed..........however, I didn't know you could sign up for a list, I will search further!
        Regards.....Linda

        "Forrest G. Plumstead" <fplum@...> rote:For Nova Scotia goto the Canadian GenWeb. You should be able to go to
        the providence of Nova Scotia, from there if you know the county you
        could find the County's GenWeb page. I have found that if you can find a
        local List board it is very helpful. I signed up for the Brant Co List
        in Ontario, and found someone very helpful who was able to research the
        Paris Cemetery and came up with very useful information! Happy Hunting!

        ><>Forrest Plumstead<><
        "I don't believe I'll ever see,
        A finished genealogy!"
        (Except the Bible.)

      • Forrest G. Plumstead
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2003
          Sorry to hear that. Here are two other suggestions.

          Family Search page from LDS has the 1881 Canadian Census:
          http://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/se
          arch_census.asp

          This is a transcription and is searchable by Surname.

          The Canadian archives has the 1901 census:
          http://www.archives.ca/02/020122_e.html

          The Canadian archives also has a surname Head of Household Census from
          1871 which is searchable by surname at:
          http://www.archives.ca/02/02010803_e.html

          Hint: use the wild cards I just found my g-g grandfather under
          Plumbstead.

          I would also like to recommend two GEDCOM sharing websites

          www.mytrees.com Which is a membership site, but you can earn membership
          by submitting your GEDCOM and/or transcribing simple records.

          www.gencircle.com

          I hope this is enough to get you started if you come up empty on these
          let me know and I will see what other resources I have at hand although
          with www.ancestry.com and www.genealogy.com I think I have pulled my best
          tricks out of the bag already.

          Happy hunting!

          ><>Forrest Plumstead<><
          "I don't believe I'll ever see,
          A finished genealogy!"
          (Except the Bible.)

        • Linda Lou Flewin
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
            Hi Forrest, thank you for all your help, I will certainly try those,wish me luck!!!
            Linda Lou
            "Forrest G. Plumstead" <fplum@...> wrote:Sorry to hear that. Here are two other suggestions.

            Family Search page from LDS has the 1881 Canadian Census:
            http://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/se
            arch_census.asp

            This is a transcription and is searchable by Surname.

            The Canadian archives has the 1901 census:
            http://www.archives.ca/02/020122_e.html

            The Canadian archives also has a surname Head of Household Census from
            1871 which is searchable by surname at:
            http://www.archives.ca/02/02010803_e.html

            Hint: use the wild cards I just found my g-g grandfather under
            Plumbstead.

            I would also like to recommend two GEDCOM sharing websites

            www.mytrees.com Which is a membership site, but you can earn membership
            by submitting your GEDCOM and/or transcribing simple records.

            www.gencircle.com

            I hope this is enough to get you started if you come up empty on these
            let me know and I will see what other resources I have at hand although
            with www.ancestry.com and www.genealogy.com I think I have pulled my best
            tricks out of the bag already.

            Happy hunting!

            ><>Forrest Plumstead<><
            "I don't believe I'll ever see,
            A finished genealogy!"
            (Except the Bible.)

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Ann
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
              Hi,

              I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to trace my grandfather's family. I know the following information: Name: John Stotts. Burial location: Mt. Olive Cemetery, Shelby County, Texas. Year of birth: 1876. Year of death: 1921. Wife's name: Mina Prince. Date married: 08-27-1900.

              I have sent a check to the Social Security Administration for a copy of my father's Social Security application in the hope that it will give me a middle name for my grandfather.

              I have searched the internet and printed out a list of the other Stotts buried, married in the area, born in the area, and on the censuses in the area. I do not yet know what to do with this information.

              I have posted messages seeking information on multiple internet bulletin boards. So far, I have not received a response.

              Does anyone have any tips?

              Sincerely,

              Ann Nix

            • Norm Vine

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Dear Norm,

                  Thanks for the tip. I am planning a trip to the Shelby County Courthouse and Shelby County Public Library in order to look at and possibly copy all of the marriage licenses of the Stotts/Stott/Stot/Stots in the area under the assumption that they were actually related. Unfortunately, most of the births in Shelby County, Texas in "the good ole days" were at home at that time and many people never bothered to get birth certificates. My father never had a birth certificate himself. His Social Security was based on his school records. Unfortunately, the Courthouse burned so all that is left is copies of federal records. Even more unfortunately, my fathers' family lived in one of the "vanished communities" of San Augustine County, Texas--Old Sardis. Old Sardis stood on the line between San Augustine and Shelby counties. I know where it stood in the olden days. I am going to drive there and see what remains when I go to look at the marriage records. While there, I will search for death records as well. Since the courthouse burned, I am not overly hopeful that the older records remain.

                  I have also ran into a family rumor that my grandfather came to Texas with a brother named Jessie who married an African American woman while my grandfather married a Caucasion-looking self-proclaimed Black Dutch woman. All of my grandparents' children married Caucasions. I have found one Jesse Stott who was married in the 1900s in Shelby County, Texas. I am going to check this angle out also. It has been hinted that the racism and segregation that still exists in parts of East Texas today is the reason why my grandfather and his sons never discussed his family. Ironically, my father named my half-brother Jessie. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of research?

                  Sincerely,

                  Ann Stotts Nix

                • Norm Vine