Re:[Genealogy Research Club] Research online

  • fplum@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2003
      Amy

      Welcome back, however the surgeon general warns that genealogy can be highly additive, and at this time there is no known cure, however science is working on it.

      Having said all that, I use free pages because that's all I can afford. For census info goto www.usgenweb.com you can find **some** images in the volunteer section. You can also go to the Finished Transcriptions section to see what has been completed.

      www.ancestry.com
      www.rootsweb.com
      www.mytrees.com
      www.gencircle.com

      all have free GEDCOM sharing sections. Remember however that GEDCOMS are secondary sources, and many have not been verified. Even if the info is erroneous it will give you a starting place to look for primary sources. Another thing, even primary sources may not always be accurate. False info may be given for personal reasons (ie. baby born 5 months after marriage. Marriage certificate and/or birth certificate may be altered) or clerical errors, misunderstandings, language, accent or dialect problems may change records. When looking for names use SOUNDX (sp?) because the spelling of names changed quite often from the "old country".

      Once again, welcome back I hope some of this helps.

      ><> Forrest <><
      I don't believe I'll ever see
      A finished genealogy
      (Except in the Bible)

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • Michael Carson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2003
        We also have free lookups for some census, vital
        records, passanger CD's etc on our site at
        http://www.oldcitydirectory.com

        Helene

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com