Tip for finding records on dead servers

  • cribbswh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2002
      Hi all,
      Most of you realize that the USGenNet servers are down and are being
      repaired. While I'm not associated with USGenNet, I link to many
      of the sites that are located on their servers, including many of the
      TNGenWeb county sites. Here's a trick to finding data from their
      servers even though they are down:

      Go to the Wayback Machine at http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

      Paste the URL to the page that you want from the USGenNet server into
      the Wayback Machine window. If they have archived the page, it
      will bring up a list of dates that it was archived. Click on the
      latest date and you'll see the page and it's content!
      Hope this helps.

      BTW, for all of you Texas researchers, I've just added the 2001
      dataset to the Texas Marriages Index at
      http://www.genlookups.com/texas_marriages/

      Happy Holidays,
      Bill Cribbs