INNELL, Innel, Ennel.

  • m6
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
      Hi,

      I'm looking for the origin of this name ( - maiden of paternal
      grandmother).

      'Innell' is an Irish-Gaelic word meaning
      variously 'prepared', 'engine'; it also appears in the Irish Tale
      of 'The Tain'.

      But this is as far as I can go. I'd be interested to hear from
      Innells & anybody else, concerning the origin & meaning of this
      fascinating surname.

      Thank you.

      R Kemp.
    • m6
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2007
        was ~ Re: INNELL, Innel, Ennel.

        Hi,

        Came across the following - can anybody help?

        from an - "index, with identifications, to the Gaelic names of places
        and tribes, University College Cork" -

        < d. inelle / Inell Chraibdech, at Beluch Gabrain and at D. I., Ll.
        354. >

        http://www.ucc.ie:8080/cocoon/doi/locus/D

        I have written to the site.

        'd' stands for 'daire' and means oak or oak wood (trees), so maybe a
        place-name? I had a look at some of the Gaelic
        and these are my thoughts -

        " d. inelle / Inell Chraibdech, at Beluch Gabrain ... "

        * Meaning of inelle/Inell unknown [phonetic = INNELL?]

        *'Chraibdech' means something like 'credence'

        *'Beluch Gabrain' is the modern road which passes through Gowran, in
        Kilkenny

        So it looks as if there was a 'Faith Wood' near Gowran, during the
        Middle Ages? Perhaps it was named after an O'Neill - I have seen many
        instances of the surname rendered ~

        I Néill
        i. Niall
        Ui-Neill