Re: [Genealogy Research Club] I am new

  • v plumley
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2002
      Hello, nader31176,
      The way I started was to gather all my facts that I
      knew for sure, then Post questions to surname and
      state and county sites at www.genealogy.com and
      www.ancestry.com. The more info you give the better
      chance you have for a correct family memember to be
      found. You can also look at www.familysearch.com (LDS
      site) or www.gencircles.com I also have joined all the
      surnames and location groups for yahoo that I could.
      Other Good places to look for info are Libraries,
      schools, funeral homes and cemeteries to name a few
      not so thought of places.
      You'd be surprised how many folks are willing to help
      you if they can.
      Since your new....
      ***Just a thought...get 3-ring binders and notebook
      paper, and file your notes as you go, by say, Location
      or surname....I have as the web-site says....Piles O'
      Notes syndrome, I save everything, one every different
      size and color scrape piece of paper!! I now have to
      search though piles of sorted, but a mess of notes
      that if I took on Notebook paper and dated and
      documented......I could go right to it and quote what
      when and where I found it or from whom.
      DOCUMENT!! everyone will tell you to Document
      everything as to where you found it, so if you share
      your info and someone asks where you found it, you can
      look as see right away, when I started, I was sure I
      could never help folks like the people I was reading
      about on-line....Ha! I'm no expert, but I try. to help
      others if I can.
      Hope this helps some and have funny with it! You will
      find some family memembers want you to leave the dead
      alone, others will be happy to see what you find out.
      Just remember Genealogy IS ADDICTIVE!

      You know your ADDICTED when... you can rattle off the
      first 4 generations back from you complete with spouse
      and dates correct, with out looking!
      OH my....I can do that...I'M ADDICTED!!

      =====
      May God Bless you and Keep you Safe
      yours truly
      Ginny

      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
      http://news.yahoo.com
    • jimhargey
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2002
        I will give that a go thanks Ginny

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@y..., v plumley <gindre43920@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, nader31176,
        > The way I started was to gather all my facts that I
        > knew for sure, then Post questions to surname and
        > state and county sites at www.genealogy.com and
        > www.ancestry.com. The more info you give the better
        > chance you have for a correct family memember to be
        > found. You can also look at www.familysearch.com (LDS
        > site) or www.gencircles.com I also have joined all the
        > surnames and location groups for yahoo that I could.
        > Other Good places to look for info are Libraries,
        > schools, funeral homes and cemeteries to name a few
        > not so thought of places.
        > You'd be surprised how many folks are willing to help
        > you if they can.
        > Since your new....
        > ***Just a thought...get 3-ring binders and notebook
        > paper, and file your notes as you go, by say, Location
        > or surname....I have as the web-site says....Piles O'
        > Notes syndrome, I save everything, one every different
        > size and color scrape piece of paper!! I now have to
        > search though piles of sorted, but a mess of notes
        > that if I took on Notebook paper and dated and
        > documented......I could go right to it and quote what
        > when and where I found it or from whom.
        > DOCUMENT!! everyone will tell you to Document
        > everything as to where you found it, so if you share
        > your info and someone asks where you found it, you can
        > look as see right away, when I started, I was sure I
        > could never help folks like the people I was reading
        > about on-line....Ha! I'm no expert, but I try. to help
        > others if I can.
        > Hope this helps some and have funny with it! You will
        > find some family memembers want you to leave the dead
        > alone, others will be happy to see what you find out.
        > Just remember Genealogy IS ADDICTIVE!
        >
        > You know your ADDICTED when... you can rattle off the
        > first 4 generations back from you complete with spouse
        > and dates correct, with out looking!
        > OH my....I can do that...I'M ADDICTED!!
        >

        > =====
        > May God Bless you and Keep you Safe
        > yours truly
        > Ginny

        > Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
        > http://news.yahoo.com
      • Stephanie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2005
          I am new to this group, and i hope someone may be able to help. I
          have been looking for my husband's father for two years with only
          dead ends. His name is Gerardo Blanco and he is of cuban origin. In
          1979 he was a resident of Miami Florida and his father and brother
          still reside there. We are having a baby in August and would like
          some information on his side of the family as all we know about him
          is his name. I appreciate any help you can give to me at this point.

          Thank you

          Stephanie