Re: USGenWeb

  • brbrooks99
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
      --- <fplum@j...> wrote:
      > A lot of times new members will ask where to look for family. A
      > place I would like to recomend is USGenWeb.

      I totally agree-This is "the" starting point for new online
      researchers- and for those that don't understand USGenWeb, it covers
      all states and all counties- some good-some bad, meaning very little
      information on a county site. Each county and state page is
      maintained by a volunteer or maybe more than one, but each person is
      doing this for their love of genealogy and trying to assist others.

      Anyone with records or information ( not copyrighted } can
      transcribe for the county/state, as well as for the Archives- Please
      remember that public records are not copyrighted, only the form in
      which they are presented- As to the census transcriptions, they are
      very important, and finding transcribers and persons to buy the film
      or books is very important. The census is basically an index to the
      entire country-
      It is projects like this that keep you from having to go read the
      film yourself, as we used to do- plus-if you have ever been on a
      research trip, you know how expensive it is now to go spend days
      searching.
      I now subscribe to a couple of online places, the cost is less that
      two days of vacation...and I still have to write to courthouses, etc.

      Don't forget about the American History and Genealogy Project.
      http://www.ahgp.org
      They too are doing things. What you don't find on one county site,
      might be on the other one.

      Anyway, it might be time for all of you to help- in some way

      Betty

      This group is dedicated