USGenWeb

  • fplum
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
      A lot of times new members will ask where to look for family. A
      place I would like to recomend is USGenWeb. This group is dedicated
      to transcribing as much genealogical info as possible and making it
      available to all researchers for free. Thier most ambitious project
      is the USGenWeb Census project. It was through this section that I
      was not only able to verify information sent to me by a church
      secretary about a greatgrandfather that I had no information on, but
      found I had granduncles that I never knew existed. There is a
      problem though. All of the work transcribing is voluntary. Less
      than 10% of all census is finished or started because of lack of
      volunters. We complain about the cost of subscriptions to the
      organized genealogy sites, well somebody is trying to do something
      about it, what will you do? This organization does not have enough
      money to purchase the images to post on thier website, so a few
      organizations and individuals are donateing a few images to them.
      There are a few images available. If you have images available
      please donate. If you have access to images or would like to
      download some from them and can transpose the info into .txt for
      everybody please donate your time and talent. This is a worth while
      cause for those who are serious about genealogy, and I urge you to
      help them. Meanwhile for those asking where do I look for
      GreatGrandpa...try

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/

      ><> Forrest <><
      "I don't believe I'll ever see,
      a finished genealogy!"
      (Except the Bible)
    • brbrooks99
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- <fplum@j...> wrote:
        > A lot of times new members will ask where to look for family. A
        > place I would like to recomend is USGenWeb.

        I totally agree-This is "the" starting point for new online
        researchers- and for those that don't understand USGenWeb, it covers
        all states and all counties- some good-some bad, meaning very little
        information on a county site. Each county and state page is
        maintained by a volunteer or maybe more than one, but each person is
        doing this for their love of genealogy and trying to assist others.

        Anyone with records or information ( not copyrighted } can
        transcribe for the county/state, as well as for the Archives- Please
        remember that public records are not copyrighted, only the form in
        which they are presented- As to the census transcriptions, they are
        very important, and finding transcribers and persons to buy the film
        or books is very important. The census is basically an index to the
        entire country-
        It is projects like this that keep you from having to go read the
        film yourself, as we used to do- plus-if you have ever been on a
        research trip, you know how expensive it is now to go spend days
        searching.
        I now subscribe to a couple of online places, the cost is less that
        two days of vacation...and I still have to write to courthouses, etc.

        Don't forget about the American History and Genealogy Project.
        http://www.ahgp.org
        They too are doing things. What you don't find on one county site,
        might be on the other one.

        Anyway, it might be time for all of you to help- in some way

        Betty