Hitting a dead end

  • lassrewhite
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2002
      I was wondering if someone may be able to help me over come a dead
      end that I and a few distant cousins who are also researching the
      same family lines cannot get around. I cannot find any records
      dealing with my great-grandfather Matthew Enders (Andres).

      According to the 1880 Federal Census for Mendon township in Iowa my
      great-grandmother Mary Andres nee Knoebel (Knobel) is living with her
      parents with 3 of her children August age 4, Kristnia age 2 and a
      baby age 1 month. There is no mention of her husband in this census
      other than for the children it list fathers birth place Hanover,
      Germany. In the Iowa state census of 1884, she again is living with
      her parents with three children August, Kristnia, and my grandfather
      age 1 but again my great-grandfather is not listed as being present
      in the household. In the Iowa census of 1895, Mary Knoebel Enders is
      listed as a widow with 3 children. Mary Enders was buried along side
      her parent in Iowa but her husband Matthew isn't nor is the baby
      mention in the 1880 census. I can find no records conserning him
      except mention of his name on my grandfather death certificate and
      marriage registry. My only other clues are the the marriage occured
      sometime between 1870 and 1876, my grandfather Mike Theodore Enders
      was born Dec. 21, 1884 in St. Louis, MO and a portion of the family
      settled in Milwaukee WI after 1900 but we cannot find presently any
      records in either city. Complicating my problem is that vital
      records in Iowa were not started until 1880 then only on a volunteer
      basis and not required my law until 1920. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated on how to overcome this roadblock.
    • sammytoka
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2002
        Hello all,

        Does anyone have any information on the name BURLESON? I'm trying to
        figure out where it originates from. Any and all information would be
        greatly appreciated. Thank you again!

        If you want, please email me at jburleso@...