census errors

  • chiron64
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2002
      Hi, I'm new to this group and fairly new to genealogy. I have a
      question about census data for those of you who have more
      experience. Is it common for census recorders to spell names
      incorrectly? I think I found my great grandfather in the Crockett
      County Texas 1920 census, but the names don't exactly match. The
      census form notes that he was not able to read or write and he
      probably spoke no English. So I'm thinking that the person taking
      the census must have written the name as he/she heard it. The 1910
      census for the same area has a boy with the name "Govel" with the
      same last name and the right age for that time. My ancestor's first
      name was Gabriel (pronounced in Spanish with the accent on the last
      syllable), so this might also be him.

      Has anyone else had problems of this kind?
    • jimb2owny
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2002
        Yes - Census takers spell bad and censed? people lie. My great
        grandfather reported 3 daughters in 1880 aged 1-4 and in 1900 they
        were all under 20 years of age! His birthplace also changed from
        Ireland to New York.