Re: ancestry.com

  • pasta17050
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 26, 2002
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@y..., americanbadass98632 wrote:
      > hello can someone with an account to ancestry.com
      > do me a favor can you look up charles toliver in the
      > 1860-1890 colorado census or can you tell me a free website
      > that would have the info thanks for your time

      There is no Colorado census for 1860 it wasn't even a territory as
      yet. There also is none for the 1890 because they burned in a fire
      and Colorado was not one of the states that were in a different
      location. I'm having a problem with my Ancestry images just now but
      will try a look for 1870. Would it be same town or township El Paso,
      there is not Colorado Springs listed?
    • Elayne Silvers
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 29 11:18 AM
        I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

        Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.  Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to believe.

        Gracie

      • exmedicrider
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 29 5:24 PM
          I use the hints as a reference only, especially hints that are from other member trees. Once I can find census reports or other documentation to prove that it is true, then I add them. I have found that the information in other trees are often not accurate. Sometimes you may find children who have birth dates prior to when their parents were born (not possible). You just have to be careful and pay attention before you hit that button to add them to your tree.
          It is always exciting to see that little green leaf appear and think that you have found something new.

        • ray104@centurytel.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 29 6:04 PM
            Gracie,I don`t know about that,but i know that when the last time I
            went on Ancestry.com I looked up my fathers people and they gave my
            fathers death wrong and several of his family members death wrong,i
            sent them a email to get it correct i don`t know if they fixed or not
            but I don`t like ancestry.com,because they want you to pay for alot of
            stuff that you can get free or a little money from other sites and you
            get more info.and alot of times they get it from other members and
            their family ,& really they not working to find it their self.They are
            getting paid for something they are getting free..Pam f.

            Quoting Elayne Silvers :

            I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

            Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting
            point? I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when
            add them to the family line more hints show up. I am just curious on
            how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find
            on my own. Most of my family members are dead. If there are family
            members alive, I don't know about them. I can't confirm anything. It
            would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can
            trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland. Anyway. Just
            curious on how much to believe.

            Gracie

            Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new
            topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links |

          • Dawn Bennink
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 29 6:04 PM
              OK. Here is my 100% direct and honest take on the ancestry.com hints. They
              are absolutely wonderful in that they CAN direct you to census pages and
              other things that you might otherwise miss when assembling your tree.
              However, they are absolutely awful if you ASSUME that any of them are worth
              a darn.

              Putting together the tree is a process of checking and rechecking
              information, matching up people, ordering death certificates, checking
              obituaries, reading family documents and oh so much more. Ancestry.com will
              not put together your tree for you. If you use the hints as gospel, you
              will likely go down path after path that makes no sense in the long run.

              Please don't forget that only a few databases are set up to come up in the
              hints. If you only use the hints and never search the databases
              independently, you willl miss SO much.

              I joined ancestry.com last year, after putting in 12 years of independent
              research on our family tree. I did it because I could see records from
              England were easily accessible that way and because I knew it would give me
              a very easy and cohesive way to put the tree into a usable format. I've
              never been sorry. But I have learned that a good bunch of the hints and
              information that comes from there is to be discarded and the rest needs to
              be carefully considered and corroborated before entering it.

              If you use ancestry.com as a tool and not as a shortcut, it is worth every
              penny. If you think it will let you put together your tree without
              requiring decision-making and analysis, you will be disappointed.

              I hope this helps.

              Dawn
            • paperboy1949@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29 6:21 PM
                I just use the hints on ancestry as a starting point. In their big family tree I have found a lot of mistakes. I many cases I have found two sets of parents for the same person, so I reseach the person until I can figure out which set of parents is correct.
                Mike

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elayne Silvers <elaynewhite@...> wrote:

                > I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.
                >
                > Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.  Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to believe.
                >
                > Gracie

              • Louise O'Donald
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29 7:02 PM
                  Concerning hints at ancestry.com: I would treat them strictly as a starting
                  point. I've gotten lots of them, and they don't help at all, from what I've
                  been able to tell. I don't believe I've ever added one of those hints to my
                  family tree. They seem to come out of nowhere and either duplicate what I've
                  already found or they don't even relate. For myself, I wouldn't add anything
                  without checking it out first.

                  All of which doesn't mean some of the hints might eventually turn out to be
                  helpful . I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

                  --Louise

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 29 8:28 PM
                    I've used Ancestry for years. You take a hint-look for documentation and prove or disprove. Then you add to your tree.
                    good searching!
                    I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

                    Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.  Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to believe.

                    Gracie

                  • claire frustine
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 29 9:42 PM
                       Hello Elayne, Read all the hints compare with any known information and if your not possitive move hint's or files into your shoebox for later review leave lots of messages on the boards and do check all world trees for your names ,I find lot's of information when just scanning
                                          Good Luck,  Claire Frustine

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 30 12:54 AM
                        I use it as a starting point, then go from there.  I enter the census' because they should be correct.Sue

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 30 7:05 AM
                          When I use ancestry, I have my known information in front of me. I use name, date and place of birth. When I find my first know piece of information such as a census to support what I know about the oldest family member in the line, I copy it and keep a copy of the cessus to my computor. I add the list of all children on that census in case I hit a rough place with no info. I then use the list of children and search the approximate age for their info. It will usually lead me to a parent with a mispelled name or something . Hits I usually save for later when I run out of direction. Just depends on the mood. I prefer the old style of search instead of the new because I can easily swith to family tree etc that might give me a lead.
                          Happy Hunting,
                          Ann

                          Can't pay your bills? Click here to learn about filing for bankruptcy.
                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLjhZDstcJCHcV48DS8OsvRRH7kMYeugkxXhhxC7c2b4PkCG05wIY/
                        • Mary-Ann Cole
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 30 1:29 PM
                            Sometimes the census is the problem. Looking for more on a great
                            grandfather (husbands family) Thomas Joseph Cole was listed as Joseph T.
                            Coal. It didn't come up as a hint, but I found it by trying various
                            spellings.
                            Cole seemed so simple until that department store came along, that was the
                            first that I was ever asked how to spell my last name!!!
                            Mary-Ann

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 30 1:42 PM
                              Yes, I should have addressed the member trees. I NEVER use them for our
                              direct lines. I have used some of that information for VERY collateral
                              lines, but make sure that I have it noted that the information is from
                              another tree, not something independently researched. I have seen tree
                              after tree after tree with ridiculous information that cannot possibly be
                              accurate. I've also had people link to my tree who have absolutely no
                              relationship to my family or my husband's family. You have to remember that
                              for some people, volume is the key, not accuracy.

                              Dawn
                            • Jody's Genes
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 30 1:51 PM
                                I've learned that the hints from anywhere are just a starting point.
                                Sometimes they can lead to a long goose chase+ADs- sometimes you hit pay-dirt.
                                But as for believing, unless you see the documentation and can legitimately
                                tie it in with the facts that you absolutely know . . . then they are just
                                hints, or theories if you will, to be proved or disproved. One problem
                                online genealogy has had is the assumption of some that because they see it
                                posted on someone's website, then it must be true, whether there is a citing
                                of sources or documentation to back it up. Then it is posted as true again,
                                and the errors keep perpetuating themselves. I've noticed that on One-World
                                Tree. So, unless you can prove it for yourself, it is only a theory.
                              • ck4evr@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 2, 2009
                                  I have been doing research since the 1980's, spent many hours in the library. After just 3 days on ancestry.com I had my husbands line going back to the Kings of France and my husband wanted to know where was his share of the fortunes? Then after 5 days I had the line linked to Jesus. In the space where it says father of Jesus- it proudly states - "God". My husband walked so proud that week! Then 4 days later the line connected to Adam and Eve, I kid you not its on there. I turned around and my husband was trying to sell his royal sperm on ebay! Just kidding, my point is- remember that ancestry.com has it all. The stuff you can use, and the stuff you can wipe with. The fun part is sorting it all out! It does have many documents on file and some family pictures/ stories have been uploaded. Just get a couple of doc's to back up the info before you move on.
                                  Kathleen