ancestry.com

  • americanbadass98632
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 26, 2002
      hello can someone with an account to ancestry.com
      do me a favor can you look up charles toliver in the
      1860-1890 colorado census or can you tell me a free website
      that would have the info thanks for your time
    • overhan59
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2002
        1880 Census Colorado Spring El Paso
        Charles F Toliver age 26 Laborer B;NEW YORK
        Sarah " 24
        Nettie " 3
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@y..., americanbadass98632 wrote:
        > hello can someone with an account to ancestry.com
        > do me a favor can you look up charles toliver in the
        > 1860-1890 colorado census or can you tell me a free website
        > that would have the info thanks for your time
      • pasta17050
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 26, 2002
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@y..., americanbadass98632 wrote:
          > hello can someone with an account to ancestry.com
          > do me a favor can you look up charles toliver in the
          > 1860-1890 colorado census or can you tell me a free website
          > that would have the info thanks for your time

          There is no Colorado census for 1860 it wasn't even a territory as
          yet. There also is none for the 1890 because they burned in a fire
          and Colorado was not one of the states that were in a different
          location. I'm having a problem with my Ancestry images just now but
          will try a look for 1870. Would it be same town or township El Paso,
          there is not Colorado Springs listed?
        • Elayne Silvers
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
            I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

            Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.  Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to believe.

            Gracie

          • exmedicrider
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
              I use the hints as a reference only, especially hints that are from other member trees. Once I can find census reports or other documentation to prove that it is true, then I add them. I have found that the information in other trees are often not accurate. Sometimes you may find children who have birth dates prior to when their parents were born (not possible). You just have to be careful and pay attention before you hit that button to add them to your tree.
              It is always exciting to see that little green leaf appear and think that you have found something new.

            • ray104@centurytel.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
                Gracie,I don`t know about that,but i know that when the last time I
                went on Ancestry.com I looked up my fathers people and they gave my
                fathers death wrong and several of his family members death wrong,i
                sent them a email to get it correct i don`t know if they fixed or not
                but I don`t like ancestry.com,because they want you to pay for alot of
                stuff that you can get free or a little money from other sites and you
                get more info.and alot of times they get it from other members and
                their family ,& really they not working to find it their self.They are
                getting paid for something they are getting free..Pam f.

                Quoting Elayne Silvers :

                I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

                Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting
                point? I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when
                add them to the family line more hints show up. I am just curious on
                how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find
                on my own. Most of my family members are dead. If there are family
                members alive, I don't know about them. I can't confirm anything. It
                would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can
                trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland. Anyway. Just
                curious on how much to believe.

                Gracie

                Messages in this topic (4) Reply (via web post) | Start a new
                topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links |

              • Dawn Bennink
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
                  OK. Here is my 100% direct and honest take on the ancestry.com hints. They
                  are absolutely wonderful in that they CAN direct you to census pages and
                  other things that you might otherwise miss when assembling your tree.
                  However, they are absolutely awful if you ASSUME that any of them are worth
                  a darn.

                  Putting together the tree is a process of checking and rechecking
                  information, matching up people, ordering death certificates, checking
                  obituaries, reading family documents and oh so much more. Ancestry.com will
                  not put together your tree for you. If you use the hints as gospel, you
                  will likely go down path after path that makes no sense in the long run.

                  Please don't forget that only a few databases are set up to come up in the
                  hints. If you only use the hints and never search the databases
                  independently, you willl miss SO much.

                  I joined ancestry.com last year, after putting in 12 years of independent
                  research on our family tree. I did it because I could see records from
                  England were easily accessible that way and because I knew it would give me
                  a very easy and cohesive way to put the tree into a usable format. I've
                  never been sorry. But I have learned that a good bunch of the hints and
                  information that comes from there is to be discarded and the rest needs to
                  be carefully considered and corroborated before entering it.

                  If you use ancestry.com as a tool and not as a shortcut, it is worth every
                  penny. If you think it will let you put together your tree without
                  requiring decision-making and analysis, you will be disappointed.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Dawn
                • paperboy1949@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
                    I just use the hints on ancestry as a starting point. In their big family tree I have found a lot of mistakes. I many cases I have found two sets of parents for the same person, so I reseach the person until I can figure out which set of parents is correct.
                    Mike

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Elayne Silvers <elaynewhite@...> wrote:

                    > I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.
                    >
                    > Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.  Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to believe.
                    >
                    > Gracie

                  • Louise O'Donald
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
                      Concerning hints at ancestry.com: I would treat them strictly as a starting
                      point. I've gotten lots of them, and they don't help at all, from what I've
                      been able to tell. I don't believe I've ever added one of those hints to my
                      family tree. They seem to come out of nowhere and either duplicate what I've
                      already found or they don't even relate. For myself, I wouldn't add anything
                      without checking it out first.

                      All of which doesn't mean some of the hints might eventually turn out to be
                      helpful . I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

                      --Louise

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
                        I've used Ancestry for years. You take a hint-look for documentation and prove or disprove. Then you add to your tree.
                        good searching!
                        I have a question about ancestry for those who use their services.

                        Does anyone believe the hints they give or do you use it as a starting point?  I am just curious because I have gotten so many hints and when add them to the family line more hints show up.  I am just curious on how much to believe or just to use it to compare with what I can find on my own.  Most of my family members are dead.  If there are family members alive, I don't know about them.   I can't confirm anything.  It would be awesome to go with what ancestry gave as hints because I can trace some of the lines back to the kings of scotland.  Anyway.  Just curious on how much to believe.

                        Gracie

                      • claire frustine
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 29, 2009
                           Hello Elayne, Read all the hints compare with any known information and if your not possitive move hint's or files into your shoebox for later review leave lots of messages on the boards and do check all world trees for your names ,I find lot's of information when just scanning
                                              Good Luck,  Claire Frustine

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
                            I use it as a starting point, then go from there.  I enter the census' because they should be correct.Sue

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
                              When I use ancestry, I have my known information in front of me. I use name, date and place of birth. When I find my first know piece of information such as a census to support what I know about the oldest family member in the line, I copy it and keep a copy of the cessus to my computor. I add the list of all children on that census in case I hit a rough place with no info. I then use the list of children and search the approximate age for their info. It will usually lead me to a parent with a mispelled name or something . Hits I usually save for later when I run out of direction. Just depends on the mood. I prefer the old style of search instead of the new because I can easily swith to family tree etc that might give me a lead.
                              Happy Hunting,
                              Ann

                              Can't pay your bills? Click here to learn about filing for bankruptcy.
                              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLjhZDstcJCHcV48DS8OsvRRH7kMYeugkxXhhxC7c2b4PkCG05wIY/
                            • Mary-Ann Cole
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
                                Sometimes the census is the problem. Looking for more on a great
                                grandfather (husbands family) Thomas Joseph Cole was listed as Joseph T.
                                Coal. It didn't come up as a hint, but I found it by trying various
                                spellings.
                                Cole seemed so simple until that department store came along, that was the
                                first that I was ever asked how to spell my last name!!!
                                Mary-Ann

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
                                  Yes, I should have addressed the member trees. I NEVER use them for our
                                  direct lines. I have used some of that information for VERY collateral
                                  lines, but make sure that I have it noted that the information is from
                                  another tree, not something independently researched. I have seen tree
                                  after tree after tree with ridiculous information that cannot possibly be
                                  accurate. I've also had people link to my tree who have absolutely no
                                  relationship to my family or my husband's family. You have to remember that
                                  for some people, volume is the key, not accuracy.

                                  Dawn
                                • Jody's Genes
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 30, 2009
                                    I've learned that the hints from anywhere are just a starting point.
                                    Sometimes they can lead to a long goose chase+ADs- sometimes you hit pay-dirt.
                                    But as for believing, unless you see the documentation and can legitimately
                                    tie it in with the facts that you absolutely know . . . then they are just
                                    hints, or theories if you will, to be proved or disproved. One problem
                                    online genealogy has had is the assumption of some that because they see it
                                    posted on someone's website, then it must be true, whether there is a citing
                                    of sources or documentation to back it up. Then it is posted as true again,
                                    and the errors keep perpetuating themselves. I've noticed that on One-World
                                    Tree. So, unless you can prove it for yourself, it is only a theory.
                                  • ck4evr@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 2, 2009
                                      I have been doing research since the 1980's, spent many hours in the library. After just 3 days on ancestry.com I had my husbands line going back to the Kings of France and my husband wanted to know where was his share of the fortunes? Then after 5 days I had the line linked to Jesus. In the space where it says father of Jesus- it proudly states - "God". My husband walked so proud that week! Then 4 days later the line connected to Adam and Eve, I kid you not its on there. I turned around and my husband was trying to sell his royal sperm on ebay! Just kidding, my point is- remember that ancestry.com has it all. The stuff you can use, and the stuff you can wipe with. The fun part is sorting it all out! It does have many documents on file and some family pictures/ stories have been uploaded. Just get a couple of doc's to back up the info before you move on.
                                      Kathleen