Re: Ellis Island

  • op68_1999
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001
      Yes. It's been open since I first got busy with
      it, around July. And much quicker than a few months
      earlier<br>I now have my mystery solved. Someone on another
      website was right on the mark; my relatives did come on a
      slightly later ship and, as that person suggested, the
      names, etc. were so fouled up I couldn't find the
      connection. My key link was my grandfather, who was listed
      for the "Adriatic" Manifest as "Selig" and it said he
      was 14, which I knew was correct. Then, on the
      Manifest for the ship they actually went on about two days
      later, the "Philadelphia," the Mormons mistook the "g"
      for a "z" and the "1" for a "7." So they had him
      under "Seliz" and age "74!" On the photocopy of the
      original Manifold one can see how that individual might
      have been confused, as the "g" could pass for a "z,"
      etc.<br>So I don't have the great story that they came on a
      ship that had the very same Captain as the "Titanic
      (four years later)," but I've got it all correct now
      and that's by far the main thing. Anyway, I now have
      the story that the five had to change voyages, for
      whatever reason...<br>Thanks, againi!!<br>Ken