Re: to msg #6023

  • op68_1999
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2001
      Thanks for whatever help you can afford...My
      grandfather was listed as "Selig Goldberg," arriving June
      1907 with his father Chaim, mother Liebe, and sisters
      "Bas..." and "Chawe." I think those are the names given -
      i don't have it in front of me. I had heard they
      arrived exactly the same day a cousin in NYC was born,
      and I have the date 6/29/07 for his birth date (may
      be slightly incorrect), but the Ellis Island says
      they arrived 6/14, I believe (I think Manifest dated
      6/14; arrival 6/13). I do not see any of them
      separately or together for 1907, and I KNOW they arrived
      that month, my grandfather WAS 14, etc. It looks like
      the Manifest was written out before the ship set out
      and then stamped, etc. when it got the the U.S. -
      right? Otherwise, I can't imagine how they would have
      such details as eye color for the people crossed out,
      but I guess they were around the site when the ship
      first sailed, or right before. On the page after where
      my relatives are listed the Captain signed a form
      and stated that numbers 13, 14 and 16-20 (the last my
      relatives...) "did not make the voyage." That's disconcerting!
      But if they were assigned another ship slightly
      later, I cannot find them in any later log that month at
      all.<br>Also, why does the website index even include
      passengers crossed out? An aunt of mine was not listed on
      the website for a certain ship and date (she was
      listed for other ships and dates) and I noticed her line
      was crossed out too. Then again, in her case, she was
      NOT listed by the Mormons for that date on their
      website, though my grandfather and the four others in his
      family were. I could see, for historical purposes, one
      might want to know if someone they are looking up did
      not make the voyage and was therefore crossed out,
      but the indexing system does not seem to be
      consistent.<br>I don't know what you could do to try to solve this
      mystery but I appreciate the offer! Thanks!<br>Ken