Ellis Island site question

  • op68_1999
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2001
      Hi, just joined!<br>Who is extremely familiar
      with searching though the Ellis Island website? I'd
      ask this question by E-mailing someone who works with
      its maintenance, but they offer no general E-mail
      address!<br>I have become quite proficient with the site -
      learning the various ins and outs and quirks of it. I am
      aware of all the means by which errors may occur -
      through the Mormons' own error, through difficulty in
      reading the Manifests, original errors in logging in
      passenters, and through deliberate fibbing among passengers.
      Nevertheless, I have been successful in finding a number of
      people and today, after discovering how much more
      information appears on the copies of the original Manifests,
      rather than the text-only versions which are
      abbreviated, I was finally able to find my grandmother (though
      several significant errors exist in her record, for
      whatever reason...). Yay!<br>However, I was very
      comfortable in the listing for five members of my
      grandfather's family, who came over on the Adriatic in 1907
      (listed as nos. 16-20), until I just discovered that the
      lines really are crossed out because on the next page
      the Captain wrote numbers 16-20 "did not make the
      voyage." Phooey - a complication!<br>But these relatives
      are not listed anywhere else on the website! Does
      anyone who what could have happened? The date of arrival
      is at least the same year I know my grandfather came
      - 1907. Is it possible they came on a later voyage
      but the procedures was to not list them again? That
      seems to make no sense.<br>Does anyone know of a case
      where the names were crossed out, and the Captain
      commented, and yet the people were on the ship anyway?
      Strange!!<br>Please respond, someone. Some info. is given for the
      relatives - colors of eyes for my Great Grandfather, for
      example, which it would seem would only be there if he
      were there in person. Also it looks like he came with
      "$2." So why would they be crossed off and the
      captain's saying they did not make the
      voyage???<br>Ken<br>Ken