Re: Syntex Questions - really strange o

  • roots_finder
    Message 1 of 5548 , Jul 5 6:56 AM
      Hi Skip,<br>Let's see if I can take a shot at
      this.<br>First, in Family Tree Maker, you can denote the foster
      child as such under lineage and use this in your
      reports to distinquish this fact. Simply state that the
      child is/was a "foster" child.<br>Second, if one parent
      does NOT adopt the children of a previous marriage,
      then it is my belief that they are considered the
      "step" parent to the children. If they DO adopt the
      children, then they are considered the "adopted" parent.
      This also can be denoted in Family Tree Maker under
      lineage. When you adopt someone, you take them as your own
      and it should be considered as such.<br>Third, I
      would believe that you would want to list all
      marriages. Maybe I am not clear as to how you are reporting
      this. If you are reporting a genealogy report, then you
      simply need to report the uncle as a son of his parents,
      report all his wifes and the children by each wife. All
      the other relationships will fall in
      place.<br>Finally, in some families, the actual "legal" relationship
      between someone has no bearing on how the person/persons
      are treated within the family. Someone who lived with
      the family for years but has no "legal" relationship
      was sometimes considered by everyone as a "cousin"
      because they have been around for such a long time and
      loved by (most) everyone. Also, half-siblings/parents
      and step-siblings/parents in some families (such as
      mine own) are considered just plain siblings/parents.
      Even though my father legally adopted my oldest
      brother and two oldest sisters, while they are
      technically my half-brother and half-sister, I and my other
      siblings consider them just brother and sister and they
      treat my dad as their own dad. I do denote the
      technically correct relationship, but they are my siblings in
      heart.<br>I do have problems reporting these on my reports
      when I have one child and a natural parent and a
      step-parent. My reports keep reporting the child twice, once
      for each parent. My GEDCOM files do the same.<br>Hope
      this helps some.<br>Roots
    • Robert
      Message 5548 of 5548 , Sep 13, 2011
        Hi
        Have you any info on Christophers family ,Brothers ,Sisters ,Parents Etc.

        I have only just found you email, My Son has done a lot of research and has found out our Reynolds came from Kent

        Thanks

        Robert REynolds