Re: Just Starting

  • Shelia_Lass
    Message 1 of 5548 , Nov 2, 1999
      Hello Sheila. <br><br>Frances gave you very good
      advice. First you have to document the living relatives
      before you move on to the ones no longer with us. I was
      in your same shoes last March. I felt overwhelmed
      and confused and not sure what I was looking for. You
      will find many kind folks ready and willing to point
      you in the right direction. My biggest misconception
      in starting my research was believing I would find
      everything online. Not true! You are going to have to travel
      about in search of your roots. I have used the
      facilities of the Church of Latter Day Saints genealogy
      history library....in my area that constitutes a small
      room off the back of their church. I was nervous to go
      the first time, but the volunteers tried to be
      helpful and did not even mention their religious beliefs.
      They have an extensive library of information on
      CDROMs, and you can order microfilm. Also, some libraries
      in your community may have a large genealogy
      section, or will order certain historical reference books
      for you.<br><br>As far as your family goes, well,
      mine felt the same way at first. But, once I began
      showing them names, dates, histories, and amazing
      connections (i.e., one of my ancestors, Dr. J. Mooney, tended
      to the wounded Belle Starr, the female outlaw in
      Indian Territory, OK, after she had been shot...she
      died) they developed an interest real quickly and now
      while they don't exactly go out of their way to
      research, my mother is quizzing her older relatives for
      more info! And frankly, I am doing this research for
      my two sons and the generations after them. I grew
      up not even knowing my grandparents' names. My boys
      will know the names of their ancestors, in some lines,
      back to the middle 1600s!<br><br>I wish you good luck,
      patience, and success in your research, but be careful,
      this genealogy stuff if addicting 8-) !<br><br>Shelia,
      too
    • Robert
      Message 5548 of 5548 , Sep 13, 2011
        Hi
        Have you any info on Christophers family ,Brothers ,Sisters ,Parents Etc.

        I have only just found you email, My Son has done a lot of research and has found out our Reynolds came from Kent

        Thanks

        Robert REynolds