Ancestry.com help

  • Tara
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2014
      I don't have an ancestry.com account but need to find a couple of things on there (my grandmother's wedding dates/spouses, as well as see if there is a listing for my grandfather's father as I need his name).  Not enough to sign up for an account.  Was wondering if anyone would mind looking this up for me real quick?  I'd be forever grateful if so!
      I can be reached at tmichelle79@...
      Thanks in advance
      Tara
    • CR Campbell
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2014
        Hi Tara,

        as a backup plan you can check your local librariesto see ifthey offer acces to ancestry.com. Ancestry.com allows enough access to their website from participating libraries, that you would be able to look those things up.

        Christopher

        On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Tara <tmichelle79@...> wrote:

        I don't have an ancestry.com account but need to find a couple of things on there (my grandmother's wedding dates/spouses, as well as see if there is a listing for my grandfather's father as I need his name).  Not enough to sign up for an account.  Was wondering if anyone would mind looking this up for me real quick?  I'd be forever grateful if so!
        I can be reached at tmichelle79@...
        Thanks in advance
        Tara

      • Kelley FOSTER
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2014
           i would start with what you know and then try to gather as much as you can from your living relatives.  then move onto courthouses, websites, etc etc.  most of the time websites wont have the more recent info,  in case they are still living.  alot of places around me can let you look at records, make copies of stuff for  change, not a huge money commitment.   i find familysearch seems to have more useful info than ancestry.com.  with ancestry, you search it seems they want you to upgrade to find more.  personally i think thats wrong.  its all a matter of public record,  i just dont see the point to paying for the conveiniance of having it all in one place.  takes the 'sport' out of it.  i have listed below a list of some of my free websites i use alot.

          (Fair warning i cant seem to fix my signature.  the more i try the messier it gets.  i hope you are still able to read it tho)

          heres some useful free sites i visit regularly.

          usgenweb.org
          arkansasgravestones.org (theres a _____gravestones.org site for nearly every state)
          familysearch.org (lds website)
          boards.ancestry.com
          billiongraves.com
          findagrave.com     Rootzseeker (#47162218)
          censusfinder.com
          genforum.com

          for those of you that do the facebook i have a genealogy group called
          Genealogy Gurus and Grave Hunters
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/431100526960426/
          ------------
          i can do local look-ups censuses, cemeteries, gravestones, obits, anything else i can dig up.
          On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:50 AM, Tara <tmichelle79@...> wrote:

          I don't have an ancestry.com account but need to find a couple of things on there (my grandmother's wedding dates/spouses, as well as see if there is a listing for my grandfather's father as I need his name).  Not enough to sign up for an account.  Was wondering if anyone would mind looking this up for me real quick?  I'd be forever grateful if so!
          I can be reached at tmichelle79@...
          Thanks in advance
          Tara

        • raelesalex
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2014

            Hi Tara

            Why not take out a 14 day free trial with Ancestry.com?  It will give you time to check out your immediate queries and you may even find out other things as well.  You can also connect with other people researching the same people.

            Good luck

            Rae Hunt
          • annabanana_47
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 17, 2014
              Tara -
              Everyone here has made good suggestions. Have you checked FamilySearch? As Kelley said it is a very good, complete (if that's possible!) and FREE site. You can also request copies of things you find (for free) through their photoduplication service.
              Check with your local public library to see if they have the Ancestry.com library edition. You can use it for free at their facility if they have it (or maybe a neighboring library might, check around).
              If all else fails I'd be happy to take a quick peek for you. Email me all the details: ancestorarchaeology@... (ancestorarchaeology (at) gmail (dot) com)
              Anne
            • barbara erickson

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 21, 2014
                  Will do thank you.
                  I just ordered the library card online.
                  Thanks again
[...]

                • Constance Campbell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 23, 2014
                    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I just heard on the radio that Ancestry.com has free access this weekend, beginning today.
                    Connie
                  • ahdaa2003
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 24, 2014
                      Great
                      Thank you
                      I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I just heard on the radio that Ancestry.com has free access this weekend, beginning today.
                      Connie
                    • kris_rigg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 24, 2014
                        I went on ancestry.com and I have free access to it but I can't get in to see any of the documents that I want to. So, if it has free access, it might not start until tomorrow (Friday). I will try again tomorrow to see.
                      • CR Campbell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 24, 2014
                          Hello Constance,

                          I went to ancestry's website and I haven't seen anything yet? Did they mention a time this might happen?

                          CR Campbell