How to get first names for recent ancestors

  • Sillver Silver
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2014
      I'm working on a tough problem - getting first names for grandparents who lived in mid-century. They were probably married after 1937 so I can't get marriage records for them. Do any of you know where else I could look them up? My only link to them is the first name of their daughter and the birth year of their son. They lived in New York City, and I have the soundex code for my grandmother's maiden name, too. Can anyone help me get through this brick wall?

      Thank you very much!
    • bjswan81
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2014

        some suggestions:
        Can you use the children's names to find the family in the 1940 census?
        Check either child's marriage licence.

        Check either child's birth record.
        If you can post more information, maybe others would have more suggestions.

      • Sillver Silver
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2014
          As I may have posted, the children were born before 1940. Are marriage licenses and birth records public information?

          Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: How to get first names for recent ancestors
          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14, 2014
            I'm sorry, I meant to say after 1940.

            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2014
              depends how old they are; you would need to check vitalcheck.com for the state you are looking for and order the birth certificate.  as to the marriage license you will have to find out what county they were married in and you would probably get it from the Courthouse.

              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 15, 2014
                They should be available if you know the county where the event took place.  However, I have not been able to find the marriage of my Mom and Dad even though I have the actual certificate.  It is my understanding that sometimes the justice of the peace, or the preacher in my folks' case, did not file the appropriate paperwork.

                You might try familysearch.org.  It is a free site managed by the Mormon Church and they have lots of information.  I have never been contacted by them about joining the church even though I have requested microfilms of records to be sent to the Mormon Church here in Montana so I could review them.

                Good luck.

                Dora

                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com