Fw: Posting again - Need help - How to find first names?

  • Sillver Silver
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2014
      --- On Sat, 4/12/14, Sillver Silver <sillver9@...> wrote:

      > From: Sillver Silver <sillver9@...>
      > Subject: Posting again - Need help - How to find first names?
      > To: genealogyresearchclub@...
      > Date: Saturday, April 12, 2014, 8:45 PM
      > I'm working on a tough problem -
      > getting first names for grandparents who lived in
      > mid-century.  They were probably married after 1937 so
      > I can't get marriage records for them.  Do any of you
      > know where else I could look them up? My only link to them
      > is the first name of their daughter and the birth year of
      > their son.  They lived in New York City, and I have the
      > soundex code for my grandmother's maiden name, too.
      > Can anyone help me get through this brick wall?
      >
      > Thank you very much!

    • jimmysnan
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014
        You could try familysearch from the Latter Day Saints site as these are free records, or you could pay to get records elsewhere.  If you have the names of the children you could go to Ancestry.com and get a free trial and look at the census of the time that they were born into the family if you have a rough idea where they were located, this shows the names of all in the family at this time.  During the 1930's there were orphan trains that children who could not be cared for were on, they could also be with another family.  The 1930's were a tough time in US history so there could be all kinds of things that happened. I would also go and look up the history of that time for where they lived and that might tell you where to look for them.  I love reading the history of what my family may have had to endure,  You might be able to find some of the information interesting and add it to the genealogy.;
      • Sillver Silver
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014
          The census does not cover the births of their children (1945-55). Thank you for the suggestion though.

          Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Fw: Posting again - Need help - How to find first names?
          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2014
            Have you tried SSDI?
            Fold3 has it free.  There are other sites as well.
            It may be time consuming if it is a common name.

          • Sillver Silver
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2014
              There are lots of them at the SSDI. What would I do with them?
              Thank you.

              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Monday, April 14, 2014, 8:42 AM

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15, 2014
                Do you know the date of their birth/death or where they lived when they died?  You check the last name with the information that you have.