Obit question

  • lady_talala
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2013
      I am a member of Find-a-grave,

      http://www.findagrave.com/

      and I try to help out with obits; not the daily ones; but the ones that appear in the sections "25 years ago today"; "50 years ago today"; "75 years ago today" and "100 years ago today".
      But I keep coming across other Find-a-grave members who refuse categorically to put the obituaries on the memorials that they are managers for.
      I already did all the typing, all they have to do is cut and paste to update the memorials.
      But all I get is excuses "they do not want to put a living person's name on the memorials."

      But actually, I have gotten a lot of good feedback because the obits are usually a lot more correct than Grandma's memory was.

      I would really appreciate feedback on that. Do you use the obits?

      Talala
    • Lois Lane
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2013
        Obits are a Treasure Trove of information but it does contain some
        information that some may consider private, but in reality the obits can be
        gotten from records at the Library, Newspaper, Historical Society,
        Historian, etc... I guess I can see their point but as a Genealogist, I
        WANT people to FIND me!!! lol There is nothing like finding another
        living relative you never knew about or a fellow researcher of the same
        line to hash things out with. I don't see how the "What happened 25, 50,
        75, and 100 years ago contain any personal information though!!

        Lois

        --
        Lois J Lane
        Franklinville, NY

      • Shirley Patrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2013
          If you think obits are hard try to get them to move a grave that they put
          in the wrong Cemetery because Find a grave did not put the correct name on
          the cemetery.

          On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:56 AM, lady_talala <lady_talala@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I am a member of Find-a-grave,
          >
          > http://www.findagrave.com/
          >
          > and I try to help out with obits; not the daily ones; but the ones that
          > appear in the sections "25 years ago today"; "50 years ago today"; "75
          > years ago today" and "100 years ago today".
          > But I keep coming across other Find-a-grave members who refuse
          > categorically to put the obituaries on the memorials that they are managers
          > for.
          > I already did all the typing, all they have to do is cut and paste to
          > update the memorials.
          > But all I get is excuses "they do not want to put a living person's name
          > on the memorials."
          >
          > But actually, I have gotten a lot of good feedback because the obits are
          > usually a lot more correct than Grandma's memory was.
          >
          > I would really appreciate feedback on that. Do you use the obits?
          >
          > Talala

        • James T.Rountree
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
            Hello,I do when I can. I also appreciate finding an obituary on a site at find a grave. This information can add MUCH to your research as well as to others. Unfortunately there are those out there that will only do so much. It is sad but I am glad to know that you are one of the ones' who care. I live in Macon, Georgia let me know if I can help and I will try.Ann