Looking for death date: Thomas Veltum (1844-?)

  • mdeweygardner
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2012
      I'm looking for a death date/place/burial etc. for Thomas Veltum. Here's what I know:

      b. 5 Jun 1844 in Lemington, Warwickshire, England
      Parents: Samuel Veltum and Maria Lyons
      Family emigrated to the US in 1847, settled in Dodge Co., Wisconsin.
      Married Duley Elma McCune in 1872 in Winona, Minnesota
      Resided in St. James, Minnesota, for many years, where he was a bank president (I have found several books with bios of him).
      Thomas and Duley had three children that I know of: Edgar Clarence Veltum (1874-1944), Raymond Thomas Veltum (1884-1962) and L. D. Veltum (1885-1966). They also may have adopted a Bettie Smith (b. 1867) who was on an orphan train.

      Around 1912, Thomas and Duley relocated to Orland, California, apparently because of her health. Duley died in 1917 in Orland, and her obituary suggests that she was survived by Thomas, who escorted her back to St. James for her funeral, though I have not been able to find where she is buried.

      After that I can find no records of Thomas Veltum, his death or his burial. I assume he returned to California? I have no idea...so any help is much appreciated. I've tried all the basics (ancestry, rootsweb, findagrave, LDS resources, Chronicling America, etc.)

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • dorncc1
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2012
        Thomas Veltum
        Birth5 Jun 1844inLemington, Warwickshire, England
        Death1914inSt James, Watonwan, Minnesota, United States

        Minnesota, Territorial and State Census, 1849-1905
        about Thomas Veltum

        Name: Thomas Veltum

        Census Date:

        County:

        Watonwan

        Locality:

        St James

        Birth Location:

        England

        Gender:

        Male

        Estimated Birth Year:

        abt 1844

        Race:

        White
        Roll:

        MNSC_31

        Duley Elma McCune
        Birth May 1854inRolling Prairie, Wisconsin
        Death7 Feb 1917inOrland, Glenn, California, USA