Tate Families in America

  • Sylvia
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
      Does anyone have this book by Updike? I saw a post on Tate surname, rootsweb, that it may be posted here.

      I am looking for Henry Tate my 6th ggf who m. Sarah Netherland in Virginia. They lived in Campbell County, was Bedford. They were born before the Virginia Colony was extended to the area from Indians, 1718/21 or thereabouts.
      Thanks,
      Sylvia
    • sendshannonstuff@mail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2012
        I don't know about this book. I don't have much on my TATE ancestors. If you find the book please tell me where I might find it. I'd like to see it. :)

      • dorncc1
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 14, 2012
          Is this him?

          U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 about Henry Tate
          Name: Henry Tate
          Gender: Male
          Birth Place: VA
          Birth Year: 1712
          Spouse Name: Sarah Netherland
          Spouse
          Birth Place: VA
          Spouse Birth Year: 1715
          Marriage
          Year: 1732
          Marriage State: VA
          Number Pages: 1

          Family Data Collection - Individual Records about Henry Tate
          Name: Henry Tate
          Spouse: Sarah Elizabeth Netherland
          Parents: Robert Tate Anne
          Birth Place: New Kent, VA
          Birth Date: 1712
          Marriage Place: Louisa, VA
          Marriage Date: 1738
          Death Place: Russells Parish, New Kent, VA
          Death Date: Sep 1793
        • dorncc1
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 14, 2012
            U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 about Henry Tate
            Name: Henry Tate
            Gender: Male
            Birth Place: VA
            Birth Year: 1712
            Spouse Name: Sarah Netherland
            Spouse
            Birth Place: VA
            Spouse Birth Year: 1715
            Marriage
            Year: 1732
            Marriage State: VA

            Family Data Collection - Individual Records about Sarah Elizabeth Netherland
            Name: Sarah Elizabeth Netherland
            Spouse: Henry Tate
            Parents: Robert Netherland
            Birth Place: New Kent Co, S Peters Parish, VA
            Birth Date: 1716
            Marriage Place: Louisa, VA
            Marriage Date: 1732
            Death Place: Lynchburg, Lynchburg, VA
            Death Date: 1802
          • dorncc1
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 14, 2012
              Henry is probably buried in St. Paul's Parish, VA. His occupation was that of a carpenter in New Kent Co., VA . On Feb 23, 1747 one Williams Price was apprenticed to Henry Tate. It is believed that Henry and Sarah lost 5 sons in the Revolutionary War. On March 24, 1755 they were residents of bedford, Co. VA where as a vestryman, he took the oath of allegiance to the King and Church of England. (Which side did they support?)

              James Sudarth (Suddarth) Geneology
              1653
              Suddarth/Sudduth of Scotland, and Stafford, Virginia
              Henry Suddarth b abt 1653, Scotland or England, d 1731, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA. He md Sarah Elzey abt 1677, daughter of Thomas Elzey and Jane Gregg. She was b 1656, Stafford, VA.Child of Henry Suddarth and Sarah Elzey was:
              James Suddarth b abt 1688, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA, d bef Jan 1753, Stafford, VA. He md Elizabeth (poss Travis) abt 1712, Stafford, VA. She was b abt 1692, Stafford, VA, d bef 1738, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA.Children of James Suddarth and Elizabeth were:
              William Suddarth b abt 1714.
              Thomas Suddarth b abt 1717, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA, d 28 Feb 1841.
              Mary Suddarth b abt 1720, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA; md Edmund Bolling 4 May 1744.
              James Suddarth b abt 1725, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA, d 1762, Amherst, VA.
              William Suddarth [a] b abt 1714, Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA, d bef 5 Apr 1762, Amherst, VA. He md Partlow Mills abt 1738. She was b abt 1718, Stafford, VA, d bef 1761.Children of William Suddarth and Partlow Mills were:
              James Suddarth
              Elizabeth Suddarth; md Mr. Ray.
              Lawrence Suddarth, d 1815, Albemarle, VA; md Martha.
              Mary Suddarth.
              Sarah Suddarth; md Mr. Denny.
              William Suddarth.
              Agnes Suddarth; md Mr. Willoughby.
              Charity Suddarth b abt 1752.
              Charity Suddarth b abt 1752, of Amherst, VA, d aft 1786, Bedford, VA. She md Charles Tate abt 1772, son of Henry Tate and Sarah Netherland.
            • Sylvia
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 16, 2012
                It is on googlebooks here
                http://books.google.com/books/about/Tate_and_allied_families_of_the_South.html?id=dBZWAAAAMAAJ

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, sendshannonstuff@... wrote:

                > I don't know about this book. I don't have much on my TATE ancestors. If you find the book please tell me where I might find it. I'd like to see it. :)

              • Sylvia
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2012
                  This Tait and Tate Families of America surname website refers to the book

                  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~taitandtate/NEW/book.htm

                  It says some mistakes are in the book.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, sendshannonstuff@... wrote:

                  > I don't know about this book. I don't have much on my TATE ancestors. If you find the book please tell me where I might find it. I'd like to see it. :)

                • Sylvia
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
                    Yes, this is my Henry Tate married to Sarah Netherland. Since I first posted here, I have gone further into his genealogy. Parents of Henry Tate are Robert Tate and Ann Unknown//Next generation: James Tate and Anne Upham//Next generation: James Tate and possibly Elizabeth Dandridge//Next generation: James Tate and lastly William Tate. I don't have the last two Tates wives.

                    It would be great to confirm my findings or make corrections if I have something listed in error.

                    William Tate (1585 - )From Northumberland England
                    is your 11th great grandfather
                    James Tate (1615 - 1665)
                    Son of William
                    James Tate (1638 - )
                    Son of James
                    James Tate (1662 - 1727)
                    Son of James
                    Robert Tate (1691 - 1759)
                    Son of James
                    Henry Tate (1715 - 1793)
                    Son of Robert
                    Mary Tate (1733 - 1790)
                    Daughter of Henry
                    Rhoda Davis (1759 - 1843)
                    Daughter of Mary
                    George Abernathy (1786 - 1830)
                    Son of Rhoda
                    James Abernathy (1825 - 1909)
                    Son of George
                    William Whitfield Abernathy (1860 - 1923)
                    Son of James
                    Hettie Elmina Abernathy
                    Daughter of William Whitfield
                    Mother Patty (1909 - 2000)
                    Daughter of Hettie Elmina
                    Living Patty
                    START person is Sylvia P. Simms, ME

                    Sylvia

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dorncc1" <dorncc1@...> wrote:

                    > Is this him?
                    >
                    > U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 about Henry Tate
                    > Name: Henry Tate
                    > Gender: Male
                    > Birth Place: VA
                    > Birth Year: 1712
                    > Spouse Name: Sarah Netherland
                    > Spouse
                    > Birth Place: VA
                    > Spouse Birth Year: 1715
                    > Marriage
                    > Year: 1732
                    > Marriage State: VA
                    > Number Pages: 1
                    >
                    > Family Data Collection - Individual Records about Henry Tate
                    > Name: Henry Tate
                    > Spouse: Sarah Elizabeth Netherland
                    > Parents: Robert Tate Anne
                    > Birth Place: New Kent, VA
                    > Birth Date: 1712
                    > Marriage Place: Louisa, VA
                    > Marriage Date: 1738
                    > Death Place: Russells Parish, New Kent, VA
                    > Death Date: Sep 1793

                  • Sylvia
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                      @ "dorncc1" <dorncc1@...>

                      Would you list you name and email address so I can cite you as a reference source? I have my tree on ancestry . com and working out kinships from DNA matches at two different companies. There is an In Common With list for my Tate match which we have found our common ancestor who is Henry Tate. It would help us to see where others fit in to the Tate family or not.

                      Regards,
                      Sylvia

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia" <sylvia.cousin@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, this is my Henry Tate married to Sarah Netherland. Since I first posted here, I have gone further into his genealogy. Parents of Henry Tate are Robert Tate and Ann Unknown//Next generation: James Tate and Anne Upham//Next generation: James Tate and possibly Elizabeth Dandridge//Next generation: James Tate and lastly William Tate. I don't have the last two Tates wives.
                      >
                      > It would be great to confirm my findings or make corrections if I have something listed in error.
                      >
                      > William Tate (1585 - )From Northumberland England
                      > is your 11th great grandfather
                      > James Tate (1615 - 1665)
                      > Son of William
                      > James Tate (1638 - )
                      > Son of James
                      > James Tate (1662 - 1727)
                      > Son of James
                      > Robert Tate (1691 - 1759)
                      > Son of James
                      > Henry Tate (1715 - 1793)
                      > Son of Robert
                      > Mary Tate (1733 - 1790)
                      > Daughter of Henry
                      > Rhoda Davis (1759 - 1843)
                      > Daughter of Mary
                      > George Abernathy (1786 - 1830)
                      > Son of Rhoda
                      > James Abernathy (1825 - 1909)
                      > Son of George
                      > William Whitfield Abernathy (1860 - 1923)
                      > Son of James
                      > Hettie Elmina Abernathy
                      > Daughter of William Whitfield
                      > Mother Patty (1909 - 2000)
                      > Daughter of Hettie Elmina
                      > Living Patty
                      > START person is Sylvia P. Simms, ME
                      >
                      > Sylvia
                      >
                      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dorncc1" <dorncc1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Is this him?
                      > >
                      > > U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 about Henry Tate
                      > > Name: Henry Tate
                      > > Gender: Male
                      > > Birth Place: VA
                      > > Birth Year: 1712
                      > > Spouse Name: Sarah Netherland
                      > > Spouse
                      > > Birth Place: VA
                      > > Spouse Birth Year: 1715
                      > > Marriage
                      > > Year: 1732
                      > > Marriage State: VA
                      > > Number Pages: 1
                      > >
                      > > Family Data Collection - Individual Records about Henry Tate
                      > > Name: Henry Tate
                      > > Spouse: Sarah Elizabeth Netherland
                      > > Parents: Robert Tate Anne
                      > > Birth Place: New Kent, VA
                      > > Birth Date: 1712
                      > > Marriage Place: Louisa, VA
                      > > Marriage Date: 1738
                      > > Death Place: Russells Parish, New Kent, VA
                      > > Death Date: Sep 1793

                    • Kathy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                        Sylvia, this is my line also. I trace back to James Tate and Elizabeth dandridge (possible) but don't have anything further back.

                        Kathy
                        Sent from my iPhone
                      • Sylvia
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                          Hi, Kathy
                          I am glad to meet another Tate relative. You can be sure my ancestor chart is right as far as the Henry Tate/Saraj Netherland. The rest of that line is a working file.
                          I have a FamilyFinder tested cousin who matches me on our common ancestor 6th ggf Henry Tate, etc. from both of our research. Let's keep in touch.

                          Regards,
                          Sylvia