Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Preserving old newspaper articles

  • Jen Robb
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
      There is a spray available at craft stores to make items like newspaper articles acid free. Scrapbookers use it frequently. Not sure of it would be enough to preserve them. But it can't hurt.

      Jennifer Robb

      On Oct 22, 2012, at 2:55 AM, "Jess" <jfinner1@...> wrote:

      > I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories, my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well, only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.
      >
      > Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy scene, so any advice would be most welcome.

    • Julie
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
        *
        if you don't want to laminate them, you can put them plastic clear
        sheets that go into 3 ring binder notebook. I have laminate some and I
        also have some in the clear sheets. The clear sheets way I can flip
        through the sheets without having to take them out all the time where
        the oils of my fingers can damage them.**You can use card stock as a
        background that is acid safe too.* *You can put them all in a 3 ring
        binder to keep them organized and not get all wrinkled up*.

        On 10/21/2012 11:55 PM, Jess wrote:

        > I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother
        > pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories,
        > my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles
        > about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several
        > questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate
        > newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole
        > thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my
        > mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped
        > articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery
        > store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of
        > the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had
        > tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles
        > being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point
        > on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all
        > sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well,
        > only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.
        >
        > Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy
        > scene, so any advice would be most welcome.

      • Julie Rittacco
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
          Very good idea, Thank You!Julie
          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: zulie55@...
          Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:45:47 -0700
          Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Preserving old newspaper articles

          *

          if you don't want to laminate them, you can put them plastic clear

          sheets that go into 3 ring binder notebook. I have laminate some and I

          also have some in the clear sheets. The clear sheets way I can flip

          through the sheets without having to take them out all the time where

          the oils of my fingers can damage them.**You can use card stock as a

          background that is acid safe too.* *You can put them all in a 3 ring

          binder to keep them organized and not get all wrinkled up*.

          On 10/21/2012 11:55 PM, Jess wrote:

          > I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother

          > pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories,

          > my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles

          > about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several

          > questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate

          > newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole

          > thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my

          > mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped

          > articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery

          > store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of

          > the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had

          > tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles

          > being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point

          > on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all

          > sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well,

          > only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.

          > Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy

          > scene, so any advice would be most welcome.

        • Jess
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
            Thanks for the advice. I had been hesitant to laminate, because I'm still new, and I wasn't sure if laminating the articles would damage them, or cause them to deteriorate faster. Thank you for informing me that this isn't the case. My mother has a laminater, so I won't need to buy one, I'll just have to remember to take them all over her house next time I visit. Thanks again :-)

            Jessyca