Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Preserving old newspaper articles

  • brendaperritt@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
      Hi Jess,
      How awesome to have all those things for your family history, I have been
      trying to fine articles of my children's deaths from 1972, but have a hard
      time nor knowledge of how to find them.
      I laminated the articles of my Grand parents and Mother's deaths, I bought a
      laminate machine just for this purpose, and if it was a really old photo, I
      would laminate that also after scanning them of course.
      After scanning the newspaper articles, I think you can save them as a
      document, and then if you have Ancestry.com or Family tree maker 2012, you
      can save them in that as an article for whomever it is about.
      Huugs ô¿~ BJ Perritt (Brenda-Brandi) NW Houston, TX
      Proud Mom of US Air Force Veteran: SSgt Ralph Moore
      Proud Nana of Gavin, Star, Sarah, Alexandria, Braiden, Ethan, Jay & Riley
      Proud Fur Mama to Madison, Sassy, Kazzi, and foster Fur Mom to Bernie
      Proud co-owner of Auto Air Authority www.007parts.com
      I'm not going to vacuum 'it until they make one you can ride on.
      "Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to
      fly.........on a broomstick...we are flexible like that.!"
      "If you don't have anything nice to say about anyone, come and sit by me."
      Alice Roosevelt Longworth
      Always swim nude. Sharks hate to peel their food
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
        There is a spray available at craft stores to make items like newspaper articles acid free. Scrapbookers use it frequently. Not sure of it would be enough to preserve them. But it can't hurt.

        Jennifer Robb

        On Oct 22, 2012, at 2:55 AM, "Jess" <jfinner1@...> wrote:

        > I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories, my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well, only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.
        >
        > Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy scene, so any advice would be most welcome.

      • Julie
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
          *
          if you don't want to laminate them, you can put them plastic clear
          sheets that go into 3 ring binder notebook. I have laminate some and I
          also have some in the clear sheets. The clear sheets way I can flip
          through the sheets without having to take them out all the time where
          the oils of my fingers can damage them.**You can use card stock as a
          background that is acid safe too.* *You can put them all in a 3 ring
          binder to keep them organized and not get all wrinkled up*.

          On 10/21/2012 11:55 PM, Jess wrote:

          > I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother
          > pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories,
          > my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles
          > about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several
          > questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate
          > newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole
          > thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my
          > mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped
          > articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery
          > store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of
          > the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had
          > tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles
          > being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point
          > on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all
          > sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well,
          > only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.
          >
          > Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy
          > scene, so any advice would be most welcome.

        • Julie Rittacco
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
            Very good idea, Thank You!Julie
            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: zulie55@...
            Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:45:47 -0700

            *

            if you don't want to laminate them, you can put them plastic clear

            sheets that go into 3 ring binder notebook. I have laminate some and I

            also have some in the clear sheets. The clear sheets way I can flip

            through the sheets without having to take them out all the time where

            the oils of my fingers can damage them.**You can use card stock as a

            background that is acid safe too.* *You can put them all in a 3 ring

            binder to keep them organized and not get all wrinkled up*.

            On 10/21/2012 11:55 PM, Jess wrote:

            > I just received quite a few newspaper articles from my grandmother

            > pertaining to our family history; everything from retirement stories,

            > my great-great grandparents 50th anniversary, and several articles

            > about my great uncles death in a fire. However, I have several

            > questions about these articles... First off, how do I incorporate

            > newspaper clippings into my family history? I'm new to the whole

            > thing, trying to fill in the pieces and pick up a project that my

            > mother left half done 20 years ago. Second, how do I repair ripped

            > articles? My grandmother literally handed me a bag, like a grocery

            > store plastic bag, full of pictures and newspaper clippings. Some of

            > the photographs were obviously pulled from albums, and a few still had

            > tape on them. This mess of everything led to several of the articles

            > being torn. And third, how do I better preserve them from this point

            > on? I am, of course, making digital copies as soon as I get them all

            > sorted, but I would like to preserve the actual clippings as well,

            > only I have no idea how to insure that they do not get ruined farther.

            > Thank you in advance. Like I said, I'm new to the whole genealogy

            > scene, so any advice would be most welcome.

          • Jess
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
              Thanks for the advice. I had been hesitant to laminate, because I'm still new, and I wasn't sure if laminating the articles would damage them, or cause them to deteriorate faster. Thank you for informing me that this isn't the case. My mother has a laminater, so I won't need to buy one, I'll just have to remember to take them all over her house next time I visit. Thanks again :-)

              Jessyca