Counting Descendants

  • lobsterjesus
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1 4:13 PM
      Often times in my research I find myself wondering "How many descendants does this person have?" Ancestry appears to offer nothing to guide me in this question. In fact, one has to click through multiple pages and tally the numbers manually.

      There must be some way to use GEDCOM software to automatically tally the number of descendants appearing in that GEDCOM. Does anyone know?

      Thanks,

      Scott Leonard
      San Francisco, CA
      http://oldbluegenes.blogspot.com/
    • Sunny Shafer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13 1:26 PM
        Family Tree Maker has that tool

        Sunny

        > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
        > From: lobsterjesus@...
        > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 23:13:37 +0000
        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Counting Descendants
        >
        > Often times in my research I find myself wondering "How many descendants does this person have?" Ancestry appears to offer nothing to guide me in this question. In fact, one has to click through multiple pages and tally the numbers manually.
        >
        > There must be some way to use GEDCOM software to automatically tally the number of descendants appearing in that GEDCOM. Does anyone know?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Scott Leonard
        > San Francisco, CA
        > http://oldbluegenes.blogspot.com/

      • Paul Kurecka
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14 9:20 AM
          Ahoj Scott,

          Interesting question. However, I suspect it goes beyond the scope of GEDCOM. Reason - that would be a fluid number dependant upon all descendants registering and providing updates.

          For example, my 1st cousin's daughter gave birth to a son last month. That son is a descendant of my immigrant great-grandfather who likely would not be found in GEDCOM.

          Pavel Kůrečka
          Scénář/Moravské potomek/Polskich potomek/Pommerschen nachkomme/Baden nachkomme