A Yahoo Answers style site for Genealogy....

  • mark_f_rabideau
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2012
      I am pleased to announce the availability of a Yahoo Answers type site for Genealogy. This site is not for Brickwalls and specific family search or family documentation oriented questions, we already have those functions elsewhere. This is more for Questions & Answers about how to conduct, perform genealogy work; where to find, look for information; how best to use a specific genealogy tool or technology; where to find maps; identifying former place names; and the like. It is basically a place where people who are doing genealogy work can go to ask and give help to each other. If you are curious, you will find GenerousGenealogists sub-site at:

      http://generousgenealogists.com/q2a/ (Please read the entire Welcome message on the GenerousGenealogists Q&A Landing page before you wade in on things.)

      Because this is part of GenerousGenealogists, that means it is Free to use. We are currently in the beta release phase of releasing the site to the world. Enjoy, stop by, use it, let me know what works and what doesn't (I'll try to fix any problems).

      atb
      ...mark
    • James W Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2012
        The FamilySearch Wiki is another place to put things about where to find what data, research tips, and similar matters.  Check the articles there for what they  may already have, and if it's not included you can edit it to include the new sources for information, etc.  You do that the same way you would Wikipedia.
        They have a new user meeting every week and a contributor meeting where more intermediate article topics are handled.  Many US counties need work, most foreign countries as well, although England and to an extent Germany is well-covered save for any data set and research helps that were for some reason missed.

        http://wiki.familysearch.org/

        PS:  If you know a language, the Wiki is available in 11 languages, so writing parallel articles in the language wikis is needed.  Spanish has a few thousand, and most others have only a couple dozen to a few hundred.  The intent of FamilySearch Wiki is to make research help available to anyone, anywhere, any time.

        The site mentioned below is just one more way that things can be shared as well, but don't forget about the other, and vice versa.