Dorothea Sophia Douglas/ Zabel in Wisconsin ca 1855-60

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2012
      Trying to make some sense out of the information I have on this great great grandmother. As far as I know her name was Dorothea Sophia (Zabel) Sommerville. Information on her prior to her marriage on October 12, 1860 in Summit, Waukesha, Wisconsin to John Sommerville is basically conjecture and rough guesses.

      1) Her birthdate is supposedly September 24, 1835 in Doelitz, Pommerainia, Germany. Although there was a Dorothea Sophia Zabel that was born there and then, when that person is looked into they are found to have died at a young age and been buried in the town of their birth.

      2) On her daughter's death certificate, Lenora Ethelinda (Sommerville) Flury, Sophia's maiden name is listed as Douglas. Not proof of anything but interesting. The information was provided by Lenora's son.

      3) Sophia is known to have had a 1 or 2 year old daughter when she married John Sommerville. This has been documented and proven beyond doubt.

      4) The 1860 Census for Oconomowoc, Waukesha, Wisconsin has John and his family listed. On the same page is a family that is listed as Sabel/Zabel. What is interesting in that next to the Patriarch's name, Christian, is listed a 1 year old girl, Augusta. She is listed as born in Wisconsin but there is no type of relationship on the 1860 census. Augusta Louise was the name of Sophia's daughter before she married John Sommerville. Nothing can be found for a Sophia Zabel or Sophia Douglas on the 1860 census that makes any sense.

      5) On the passenger list for Christian Zabel and family there is a Sophia that is listed at about the correct age.

      Have been unable to find a documentation on Augusta's birth. When did Wisconsin start requiring birth certificates?

      Have been unable to identify any Douglas family in the area of Oconomowoc during the timeframe.

      The time between the Zabel families arrival in 1856 provides plenty of time for a youngster to be a 1 year old on the 1860 census.

      Any ideras on this one?

      Bob