Where to locate additional information

  • Rachel Mayfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2012
      Hi everyone, had a quick question. Where would be a good place to look for
      additional information for my ancestors online, more specifically newspaper
      articles,etc? Preferably free as well. I have pretty much found out
      everything I need to know name/birth/death wise, now i want to dig a little
      deeper and find out more about their lives. Then another question. Besides
      occupations, what would be some other things that I would most likely be
      able to find out?

      --
      Blessings,
      <>< Rachel<><

    • Sunny Shafer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2012
        I am where you are Rachel.
        I want to know more about who they were, personalities, accomplishments, black sheep (my area of genealogy).
        Below is a list I have used (some fee/some free); sorry for any duplicates or dead links....
        Bear in mind some free sites may have become pay sites or visa versa; I haven't bene to many in a long time.
        Sunny IBSSG

        NEWSPAPERS - most are free.
        http://www.genealogybuff.com/papers.htm FREE
        Be sure to scroll all the way down the results page.

        http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ - Free from Library of Congress

        http://www.newspaperarchive.com/ FEE
        I am subscribed. If you do a search & see something there you need, let me know in e-mail.

        http://theoldentimes.com/news.htm FREE

        http://groups.msn.com/CambridgeJeffersonian1878-1906 FREE
        MSN group of nice people who will search those dates for you. Join and post under Messages link on left panel.

        http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/ FREE

        http://www.ancestorhunt.com/ RESOURCES
        as well as their own archive: obits, bible records, newspapers, Transcriptions, images & more.

        http://www.cyndislist.com/newspapers resources

        http://www.personalbutpolite.com dedicated to the "comings and goings" of the citizens of the town.

        http://www.paperofrecord.com/ FREE

        http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/contentlisting.aspx?cat=news FEE

        http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/keyword.html?p_topdoc=1&p_queryname=1 FREE

        http://www.oldnewspapers-search.com/ FREE

        Sunny
        IBSSG

        > To: ancestorhunters@...; genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
        > From: ishodandrachel@...
        > Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:25:30 -0700
        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Where to locate additional information
        >
        > Hi everyone, had a quick question. Where would be a good place to look for
        > additional information for my ancestors online, more specifically newspaper
        > articles,etc? >
        > Blessings,
        > <>< Rachel<><

      • Sunny Shafer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2012
          also a hint or two:

          Ancestry's newspaper search method does not get accurate results. If you have a pay site you use, like newspaperarchive.com, do not restrict your search.
          Just because one newspaper is not on a newspaper site, doesn't mean the info needed isn't there to be found. You can always narrow down if too many hits.
          The same articles are in other papers. in fact other towns and states. Particularly anything picked up by the AP (Associated Press) and obits.

          NEWSPAPER: I never search for a particular paper - Too limiting. Many items are publishe din many papers across the US/World.

          NAME: I omit middle names/initials unless I find nothing and when I do I do so with each place search variation.

          Every time you change a search option you must do so per each 'other' search option (place, dates etc)

          DATES: I never enter a specific date. Will do year and if too many hits I may enter a month. A death date is not necessarily a publication date.

          PLACE: I search only country and state; not town. If I don't find what I want there I search all states. Many 'hometown' papers print obits of residents
          who long since have moved away and died. In fact any town they lived in can have an item in the paper.

          Years ago when i first started at newspaperarchive I didn't know this and over time have found tons of stuff I missed by narrowing a search too far.
          Even pics of me as a kid and other ancestors :-)

          Anyway, just an FYI

          Sunny
          IBSSG

        • Michele L. Epps
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2012
            Rachel,

            Google News Archive has a lot of free newspapers. If your ancestors lived in
            a small town and there is a local paper you can read about school events,
            family visits and reunions, local elections and the like. Large city
            newspapers usually just have marriages, deaths and sometimes births. It's
            really going to depend on where the people lived, their economic status and
            the time period. Even if your family aren't mentioned you can often learn a
            lot about what their lives were like by reading the local news of the time.

            Michele

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25, 2012
              A good start is the Library of Congress, where many historic newspapers have been digitized and are therefore searchable. I have found tons and tons and tons of articles about my ancestors: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ ...but the date range only extends up into the early 1920s or so, and not every state is indexed. Nevertheless, I've found mountains of articles just by doing name searches. (And remember the genealogist's rules about spelling of names...try lots of variations.)

              I've found articles about everything from "society life" like cake walks, social groups and drama performances to buggy accidents, suicide attempts and bitter divorces. It helps to fill in the life between those b. and d. dates. It does take digging, and of course not everyone showed up in their local news...be sure to cross check names with known timelines, locations, occupations, family members, etc., to make sure you have the right person. The jackpot is when there's a photo or illustration.

              Many other states have their own digital newspaper archive projects, many of which are free to access. Some you can access online through your local library, too. The difficult dates to locate free newspaper resources seem to be from the 1930s-1980s. These usually have to be through paid databases you might access from a library.

              Google the state name and "digital newspaper" project or archive and you might find some good stuff, but definitely start at the Chronicling America (Library of Congress) site.

              Mark G.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Mayfield <ishodandrachel@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone, had a quick question. Where would be a good place to look for
              > additional information for my ancestors online, more specifically newspaper
              > articles,etc? Preferably free as well. I have pretty much found out
              > everything I need to know name/birth/death wise, now i want to dig a little
              > deeper and find out more about their lives. Then another question. Besides
              > occupations, what would be some other things that I would most likely be
              > able to find out?
              >
              > --
              > Blessings,
              > <>< Rachel<><
              > http://lifeinthekeyofe.blogspot.com

            • Joy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2012
                Sunny, this is a great list. I hadn't heard of some of these.

                I'd like to add one for people looking in New York State:

                http://fultonhistory.com It's tricky to use, but has papers you'd never find elsewhere.

                Joy Weaver

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Sunny Shafer <circa_1948@...> wrote:

                > I am where you are Rachel.
                > I want to know more about who they were, personalities, accomplishments, black sheep (my area of genealogy).
                > Below is a list I have used (some fee/some free); sorry for any duplicates or dead links....
                > Bear in mind some free sites may have become pay sites or visa versa; I haven't bene to many in a long time.
                > Sunny IBSSG
                >
                > NEWSPAPERS - most are free.
                > http://www.genealogybuff.com/papers.htm FREE
                > Be sure to scroll all the way down the results page.
                >
                > http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ - Free from Library of Congress
                >
                > http://www.newspaperarchive.com/ FEE
                > I am subscribed. If you do a search & see something there you need, let me know in e-mail.
                >
                > http://theoldentimes.com/news.htm FREE
                >
                > http://groups.msn.com/CambridgeJeffersonian1878-1906 FREE
                > MSN group of nice people who will search those dates for you. Join and post under Messages link on left panel.
                >
                > http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/ FREE
                >
                > http://www.ancestorhunt.com/ RESOURCES
                > as well as their own archive: obits, bible records, newspapers, Transcriptions, images & more.
                >
                > http://www.cyndislist.com/newspapers resources
                >
                > http://www.personalbutpolite.com dedicated to the "comings and goings" of the citizens of the town.
                >
                > http://www.paperofrecord.com/ FREE
                >
                > http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/contentlisting.aspx?cat=news FEE
                >
                > http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/keyword.html?p_topdoc=1&p_queryname=1 FREE
                >
                > http://www.oldnewspapers-search.com/ FREE
                >
                > Sunny
                > IBSSG
                >

                > > To: ancestorhunters@...; genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: ishodandrachel@...
                > > Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:25:30 -0700
                > > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Where to locate additional information
                > >
                > > Hi everyone, had a quick question. Where would be a good place to look for
                > > additional information for my ancestors online, more specifically newspaper
                > > articles,etc? >
                > > Blessings,
                > > <>< Rachel<><

              • Sunny Shafer
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 28, 2012
                  Thanks, looks interesting. I also forgot to add some I had tucked away in my 'favorites' to the list. :-)
                  http://news.google.com/newspapers
                  http://www.jsonline.com/historicarchive/ 1884-2007 Milwaukee, WI
                  http://gethelp.library.upenn.edu/guides/hist/onlinenewspapers.html Historical Newspapers Online
                  http://www.library.illinois.edu/dnc/Default/Skins/UIUC/Client.asp?Skin=UIUC&AppName=2&AW=1346208414388 Illinois Digital Newspaper Collection (IDNC)