Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Need help with tin type photo

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
      I would place this picture was taken in the 1870s I would say the person
      is to be around 12 to 15 yrs old. I find it odd for the picture to have
      color on the cheeks, did some mark that on the picture?
      *
      Julie D.
      ARTS AND CRAFTS KEEP YOU SANE
      Zulie's Scrapy Scrapin Blog
      http://zuliesshack.blogspot.com/
      Our Ebay Store (cookbooks)
      http://stores.ebay.com/Garys-Cookbooks*
      On 8/22/2012 3:40 AM, Poker Pro wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I need some help with a tin type photo I have. I'm interested in when
      > this photo was taken and abouthow old the woman in the photo is.
      >
      > http://www.hiddengenealogynuggets.com/genealogyblog/2012/08/wordless-wednesday-sanders-fryher-photo-album-image-27/
      >
      > Any help you could provide is appreciated.
      >
      > Regards, Jim

    • bob gillis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
        On 8/22/2012 6:40 AM, Poker Pro wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I need some help with a tin type photo I have.

        Is it really a tin type? The wiki at
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintype says they were on a sheet of iron
        so a magnet should be attracted. There are other similar methods.

        I'm interested in when this photo was taken and abouthow old the woman
        in the photo is.

        The pictures would have been taken after 1856. I think the age of the
        girl is 12-14 years.

        > http://www.hiddengenealogynuggets.com/genealogyblog/2012/08/wordless-wednesday-sanders-fryher-photo-album-image-27/
        >
        > Any help you could provide is appreciated.

        Google identifying old pictures +tin type and you will find over 2000
        results

        bob gillis
      • Jim Sanders
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
          Hello all,

          Thanks for your response Bob and Julie.

          The photo is indeed a tin type photo.  It is from a 19th century photo album with more than 50 photos.  Most photos in the album are tin type.  Some of the tin type photos in the collection have been confirmed to be as late as 1900

          A number of the tin type photos in the collection have the pinkish tint on the checks.  It was actually fairly common and was added after the photo was done.  The photogrpaher and presumably the subject wanted to put some color in to the photos.

          Regards, Jim