Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Census Question

  • lee taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 22 8:10 AM
      My libraries have Hertiagequest and you can use it at home with your library card  their census is easy to use. someone said Mocavo has census  but I've never tried them. hertiagequest only goes from 1850-1920 and some 1930 they went out of business.

      Lee Taylor-Elliott

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 22 8:36 AM
        Crystal,

        If you go to archive.org they have the 1870 census however it is only images
        and no transcriptions. Just search for 1870 census and you will get a list.
        Not as user friendly but you can't argue with free. You can even download
        them. Depending on where you are looking the 1870 census can be problematic.
        I have heard from several people that entire sections of communities were
        not enumerated and I know this to be a fact in Washington County VA. This
        has stymied my research many times. I have an Ancestry subscription and am
        happy to do look ups.

        Michele

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 22 8:37 AM
          Here is the direct link http://archive.org/details/1870_census.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 22 12:23 PM
            Our library never bought into the Heritage Quest. They have really gone down hill since the economy went sour. Thank you for the suggestion. I used to get HQ from them but alas it had to come to an end.

            Crystal
            www.lds.org
            Fiskateer #4543
            www.Civitan.org
            Charter member of the Local Waynesboro Area Civitan
            WWW.findagrave.com member #46792320
            Today you are you, that truer than true, there's no one alive
            who's youer than you. Dr. Seuss.

            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: leet_91737@...
            Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:10:42 -0700
            Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Census Question

              From: michele.epps@...
              Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:37:25 -0400

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 22 12:43 PM
                On 8/21/2012 3:46 PM, Crystal P wrote:
                > I have a question regarding the census. I know there is no 1890
                > census, but what about an 1870 census. I need info for someone from
                > 1870 and didn't see one in FS.

                The US Federal Census were taken every 10 years since 1790. The 1890
                Census was lost in a fire circa 1920 before the sheets were filmed.
                Parts of a few states remained. There was a separate schedule for
                Veterans that survived.

                > Also, is there a place where I can find the year and then search the
                > census year individually. As in this case I found all that were
                > available for finding except for 1870.

                You can find people in the 1870 Census ; just enter their names, either
                exact or not Residence 1870-1870 and they should show up. did you find
                them in 1850 and 1880?

                Tell us the name/s of the people you are looking for and the state.

                bob gillis
              • Mary Stewart
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 22 1:28 PM
                  Hi Crystal ...

                  Here's the link to the 1870 census at Family Search ...

                  https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1438024