Web Host for Genealogy site

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15 4:33 PM
      I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding and updating it easier too.

      Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost of it is a major issue.

      Bob
    • Paul M. Summitt
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16 9:46 AM
        Check out 000webhost.com. That's where I host summittfamilyonline.com,
        friefamilyonline.com, lovefamilyonline.org, and
        spotswoodfamilyonline.com. Also, take a look at the TNG software.
        Think you will like it.

        paul

        On 7/15/2012 6:33 PM, Bob wrote:

        > I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree
        > information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best
        > site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be
        > prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but
        > those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my
        > GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is
        > too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email
        > and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email
        > them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding
        > and updating it easier too.
        >
        > Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and
        > bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost
        > of it is a major issue.
        >
        > Bob
        >

        > *TODAY*/(Beta) /*.*Powered by Yahoo!
        >
        > Show of sportsmanship after sabotage
        > <http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/extraordinary-act-of-sportmanship-keeps-cadel-evans-in-contention-at-tour-de-france;_ylc=X3oDMTFiYnRwa3FqBF9TAzk1NDAxMDAyNwRwa2cDaWQtMjQyNTQ5NARzeWlkA2M4cHBla2gwd3o-?urn=top,wp529>
        >
        > Get Yahoo Search App!
        > <http://search.yahoo.com/mobile/searchapp?p=yahoo_search_app&fr=appsrch&.tsrc=appsrch>*.
        > *Privacy Policy
        > <http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/webbeacons/details.html>

      • kay f
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16 9:56 AM
          Bob, I like to use tribalpages(dot)com where you can set up a private or public website. They not only have the free version but for a small yearly fee you can upgrade with more features. You can also get "hints" on your ancestors similar to those "leaves" you get on ancestry and you can also see others who are researching the same ancestors that you are, but you do have to have the paid subscription to access some of that information.

          I have several family trees up at their location and find it very user friendly and have been very pleased with them for the few years that I've been using their free site. By the way, I do plan to at least upgrade one of my larger family trees here in the near future.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <r_c_boss@...> wrote:

          > I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding and updating it easier too.
          >
          > Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost of it is a major issue.
          >
          > Bob

        • Mark F Rabideau
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16 10:06 AM
            HI Bob,

            I built my own. My site currently has over 30GB of data online for
            family and general/ public readership. It also has varying security
            levels which grant specific people access to specific information. The
            site is built using WordPress (free) and my monthly host charges are
            about $8 (so about $100 per year).

            You can see the site at:

            http://many-roads.com

            If you are not comfortable building such a site you could hire it done...

            Pax Vobiscum,
            ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

            ManyRoads Family Genealogist (Rabideau-Henss Family); *Professional
            Genealogist *
            *Visit us at: http://many-roads.com <http://many-roads.com/> *
            *Snail mail at: *711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
            *phone:*+1.303.660.9400 *fax:*+1.303.660.9217
            *member:*Association of Professional Genealogists & National
            Genealogical Society
            *"It's always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you
            want him or whether you don't."*

            Rabbit, Pooh's Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

            On 07/15/2012 05:33 PM, Bob wrote:

            > I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree
            > information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best
            > site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be
            > prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but
            > those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my
            > GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is
            > too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email
            > and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email
            > them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding
            > and updating it easier too.
            >
            > Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and
            > bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost
            > of it is a major issue.
            >
            > Bob

          • Tom Hendricks
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16 11:00 AM
              I suppose there must be more sensitive information to your tree otherwise you would justsend them a link to your ancestry.com site and make them a guest. One products to create a website is GEDMILL for setting up webpages it converts a gedfile to html page for viewing ith the internet or mozilla browser on the internet. its is a little older but I like the set up. You would have to pay for webspace and probably make a family pool $ to keep it up or find a free webpages website. Maybe you could use www.wikitree.com would work for you? Tom Hendricks
              thendricks.owm@...

              Have a Marvelous Day!

              I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding and updating it easier too.

              Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost of it is a major issue.

              Bob

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 16 4:56 PM
                How about Wikitree? Its free
                *
                Julie D.
                ARTS AND CRAFTS KEEP YOU SANE
                Zulie's Scrapy Scrapin Blog
                http://zuliesshack.blogspot.com/
                Our Ebay Store (cookbooks)
                http://stores.ebay.com/Garys-Cookbooks*
                On 7/15/2012 4:33 PM, Bob wrote:

                > I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree
                > information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best
                > site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be
                > prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but
                > those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my
                > GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is
                > too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email
                > and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email
                > them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding
                > and updating it easier too.
                >
                > Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and
                > bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost
                > of it is a major issue.
                >
                > Bob

              • Karen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 17 5:48 AM
                  When my tree got too big for my genealogy program to open a picture of it and to save it easily to back up the information, I broke it up into "branches", naming the trees by the major last name it begins with. It serves several advantages...it is easier to save and share and relatives can receive only information that is pertinent to their side of the family. Some people do not care to have all that extra information on your other branches.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <r_c_boss@...> wrote:

                  > I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but those are public trees. I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding and updating it easier too.
                  >
                  > Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost of it is a major issue.
                  >
                  > Bob

                • Kathy P
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 17 6:26 AM
                    I also use tribalpages.com and have been real happy with it.  It only allows the public to view deceased people.  There is a password feature where your family can view everything but cannot edit it.

                    Kathy
                    Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
                    Visit my family history website: http://dutraporter.tribalpages.com/

                  • Charlie Vines
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 17 9:03 AM
                      Bob,

                      I currently use TNG software for my site, The Vaden Family Research Center
                      (http://www.vadenfrc.ancestryhost.org/). You do need a hosting site. I use
                      ancestryhost.org.

                      You can also check out Family Tree Guide
                      (http://demo.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php). It has the same
                      functionality as TNG. You can pages for people, family, sources,
                      history&documents, cemeteries&tombstones, etc. There is public area as well
                      as an admin area.

                      Both give you the option to remain public or require user-id's. You can set
                      priveleges as you wish from guest to admin level. There are both free
                      (paid for with advertising banners on each screen) and paid versions. I had
                      considered moving to familytreeguide but have decided to stay put for now.
                      Both offer a lot of the same functionality, but TNG requires more hands on
                      to maintain the site 'behind the scene' (i.e., software upgrades).

                      Another plus for both is the ability to add data online instead of on my pc
                      and continually uploaded gedcom files. I only keep backups on my pc now.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Charlie Vines

                    • Ms Brandy Sacco
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 17 6:08 PM
                        Bob,
                        Try www.family-genealogy.com it has lots of features for an online tree.
                        Brandy

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 18 4:08 AM
                          On 7/15/2012 7:33 PM, Bob Boss? wrote:
                          > I am thinking about creating a Web site with all the family tree
                          > information and source documents on it. I am trying to find the best
                          > site to do this. I have thought of Ancestry.com but the cost would be
                          > prohibitive for other family members. RootsWeb was a thought also but
                          > those are public trees.

                          Why do you want to keep your tree private? AFAIK you are the only one
                          that can change a WorldConnect file. Do you envisage that others can
                          edit or add to the tree?

                          > I am trying to do this as when I backed-up my
                          > GEDCOM today it was well over 400Meg and is not even finished. It is
                          > too big and bulky to keep sending just pieces of it around by email
                          > and snail mail to family members. It would be much easier to email
                          > them the link and let them access it that way. It would make adding
                          > and updating it easier too.

                          What genealogy data base program are you using? How many people do you
                          have in your file? How many different family lines do you have?

                          > Any thought or ideas? I am thinking the unlimited disk space and
                          > bandwidth are really nice. I am also living on disability so the cost
                          > of it is a major issue.

                          Other places to ask are COMPUTER-HELP and GEN-COMP-TIPS on rootsweb.

                          bob gillis