Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: SARAH JANE THOMPSON 1839-1917

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2012
      On 7/2/2012 6:03 PM, christmascrafter54 wrote:
      > I've been told that she was Indian. I don't know what tribe, that's part of my brick wall.

      What evidence that she was Indian does this person who told you have ?

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Ancestry.com Public Member Tree
      >> http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/22319979/person/1216990924?ssrc=
      >> SARAH JUNE (JANE) UNKNOWN
      >> Birth 7 Aug 1840 in Alabama
      >> Death 11 Oct 1917 in Ashland, Tennessee
      >> Married circa 1857 to William Lanham Thompson/Thomson 1831 – 1901
      >> one of the children is Newton Caldeen Thompson 1858 - 1930
      >>
      >> 1860 Georgia Militia District 875, Dade, Georgia

      There are147 William Thompsons in the 1850 Census in AL. Narrow your
      search to Jackson and DeKalb Counties which border Dade County GA.

      Searchlight the Alabama marriages for William Thompson bride Sarah Jane
      I find
      Groom's Name: William V. Thompson
      Bride's Name: Sarah E. Graham
      Marriage Date: 07 Nov 1859
      Marriage Place: Tallapoosa,Alabama
      Bride's Race (blank)

      From Wikipedia:
      Tallapoosa County is a county of the U.S. state of Alabama.[1] The name
      Tallapoosa is of Creek origin, and many Indian villages were along the
      banks of the lower river before the 19th century. As of 2010, the
      population was 41,616. Its county seat is Dadeville.

      bob gillis

      >> 1870 District 1, Cheatham, Tennessee
      >> 1880 District 25, Davidson, Tennessee
      >> 1900 Civil District 25, Davidson, Tennessee
      >> 1910 Civil District 13, Davidson, Tennessee
      >> In 1870-1910, she is listed as White; in 1860, the marks in the
      >> "Color column" don't make clear sense.
      >> 1870 + 1910 censuses say she is born TN,
      >> 1860 + 1880 + 1900 say she is born AL.
      >>
      >> 1860 Georgia Militia District 875, Dade, Georgia
      >> Thompson, William/26:AL, Sarah/22:AL, Newton/2:AL, John/1m:GA
      >>
      >> What is your indication that she is Indian?
      >> Dawes Rolls? Family legend? Physical features?
      >>
      >> - Tom Knox
      >>
      >> --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "christmascrafter54" <angelbabe1954@> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> LOOKING FOR HER INDIAN NAME AND HER PARENTS NAME. SHE WAS BORN IN TENNESSEE. SHE WAS MARRIED TO WILLIAM L THOMPSON. THEY HAD 9 CHILDREN

    • Ahliss Helton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2012
        Cherokee Nation Tahlequah Oklahoma.