New to Group and have questions

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 21, 2012
      Hi everyone, new to this group but not genealogy. In fact, I have sucessfully traced almost my entire family line, with one little exception. I am stuck on my Dads side. I have been able to go back several generations but once I hit Germany I hit a snag. I know my descendants migrated from Germany, and I have name of my great great grandmother, but that is as far as I have been able to go. What is the best way to go about international research? Are there any websites that are specific to Germany. I would prefer free to little cost.This is my first question.
      My next question is about organization, now that I have all of this info, what to do with it? I would really like to compile it in a binder in some way, but not sure how. Filing out forms by hand would be too time consuming, as i have thousands of hours of information and time put into this. I would like to create a family book of sorts. Does anyone have any suggestions?
      Thank you for your time

      Rachel
    • Rachel Mayfield
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 12, 2012
        Thank you =) . I was able to find a John Helms on these records below,but
        when doing a birth record search for Christine Helms,I had at least 20 or
        more pop up from Germany. I dont think Christine was her first name, and I
        think her father may have been Johann instead of John.According to my
        research there are several John Helms or Johann Helms, so it is hard to
        inpoint which one he could be. I have hit a road block when trying to
        figure out her full name . I have been very unsuccesful when searching for
        immigration records as well. I am assuming, and i could be wrong, that her
        father immigrated with them in 1858. I cant locate a birth year or a yr of
        death for him,but it would help if I knew her full birth name.........

        --
        Blessings,
        <>< Rachel<><