Re: West Damascus, Wayne Co, PA cemetery help needed

  • Joy Weaver
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
      Sunny,

      Richard Kinard Scott, b. abt 1810, prob. in Ulster Co, NY; d. 28 March
      1897 in Peckville, Lackawanna Co, PA. where he was living with a son
      after Phebe [always spelled that way] died.

      I am not especially interested in knowing more than I do already about
      Richard. Phebe is given as a sister of my husband's 2ggm in the pension
      papers of the 2ggm's son. I am trying to learn who Phebe's parents were
      because I've been unsuccessful in learning the parents of his 2ggm.
      (The 2ggm was Nancy Jane Merritt, b. Marlborough, Ulster Co., NY abt.
      1813. She died in 1862 in Rensselaer Co, NY and never lived in PA).

      I am interested in Phebe's dates because I've run into two different
      family histories for supposedly the same Phebe. In one, she marries a
      George Potter and is b. 1817. In the 1850 census with Richard Scott in
      Newburgh, NY, she is b. 1820. In both cases, Phebe's parents are
      identified as David I. Merritt and Sarah/ Sally Cropsey of Marlborough,
      Ulster Co, NY. These are the parents I've suspected for Nancy Jane, so
      it's important to me to figure out which Phebe married G. Potter and
      which married R. Scott. I haven't found the Potter couple in any census
      so far, but found the marriage of their daughter, Emily, in Manhattan in
      1873. I have also found Emily at age 14 living with a Woolsey family in
      Marlborough, Ulster Co, NY, in 1860. If Emily was born in 1846, there
      are two different Phebe Merritts, because the one in Damascus had
      children with Richard Scott as early as 1839, per 1850 census and
      interviews in the pension file I mentioned.

      Listings of the children of David I Merritt and Sarah Cropsey do include
      a Phebe, but do not include Nancy Jane nor a brother, Asa Merritt whose
      name also came up in the pension file. (That's been discussed here in
      the recent past. I know his death info now, but have had no luck with
      finding a death certificate or any church records, so still don't have
      parents' names. I'm still working on him, too. He did live for awhile
      in Damascus, PA, but mostly lived in Sullivan Co, NY, where he died in
      1888).

      I am leaning toward the belief that the Phebe Merritt who married George
      Potter was the one who was the daughter of David I Merritt and Sarah
      Cropsey, while the Phebe who married Richard Scott was the daughter of a
      different Merritt, along with Nancy Jane and Asa, also from Marlborough,
      Ulster, NY. (Looking at the 1820 census for Marlborough, the only
      Merritt with girls young enough to be Nancy and Phebe was a James
      Merritt who is not there in 1830. Or if Phebe was not yet born in time
      for the 1820 census, there are two female heads of household with one
      female under 10 each who could be Nancy Jane. One of them is not listed
      in 1830 and the other has no female children in 1830. In fact, David I
      Merritt has no girls young enough to be Nancy in 1820).

      I didn't mean to make this as complicated as it sounds, but I hope it
      answers questions that would arise if I didn't explain all that.

      Bottom line: I need the dates for Phebe (Merritt) Scott in order to
      explore further avenues to her parents' names.

      Whew!
      Joy

    • Sunny Shafer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
        i understand it is phebe u r looking at, i just needed his ID to verify i had the correct phebe :-)
        thx

        Sunny
        IBSSG

      • Sunny Shafer
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
          is there any reason she couldnt havebeen married to both?
          Bear with me if u gave reasons why not...I just woke up and head still foggy :-)

        • bob gillis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 8, 2012
            On 6/6/2012 9:24 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
            > Is anyone on this list from the area near W. Damascus, PA and willing to
            > check cemeteries and/ or local newspapers?

            I think the chances of anyone on this group being close enough to
            Damascus Township and willing to check cemeteries are slim to none.
            This groups is multinational, USA and at least Canada. Before asking
            you should find out what religion Phebe Merritt Scott and Richard Scott
            were and what cemeteries are in Wayne County today.

            Searching rootsweb > WorldConnect I find that Richard and Phebe are in
            a file by Allan Ranuer. It does not contain much more than their names
            and children but he may know more about them.

            Asking on the PAWAYNE list and/or the Wayne MB on rootsweb may get you
            some answers and a response. Also look for Wayne County USGenWeb Archives

            As Damascus is just across the Delaware from Cochecton NY,she and her
            husband may ahve been buried there. You say you have the husband's
            obituary. What does it say?

            Here is the family in the 1880 Census
            Name: Lewis Scott
            Residence: Damascus, Wayne, Pennsylvania
            Birthdate: 1851, New York
            Relationship to Head: Son
            Spouse's Name:
            Spouse's Birthplace:
            Father's Name: Kinard Scott
            Father's Birthplace: New York, United States
            Mother's Name: Phebee Scott
            Mother's Birthplace: New York, United States
            White American, Male, Married
            Age 29 years
            Occupation: Works On Farm
            NARA Film Number: T9-1202, Page: 119A
            Entry Number: 431, film number: 1255202
            Household Gender Age Birthplace
            SELF Kinard Scott M 69 New York, United States
            WIFE Phebee Scott F 67 New York, United States
            SON Lewis Scott M 29 New York, United States
            Mary Scott F 22 Pennsylvania, United States
            Josah M. Scott F 6M Pennsylvania, United States

            I looks like Lewis and Mary were married in 1878/9 If you can find
            their married Records. while the above says that Lewis was married, the
            Spouse's name and birth place are not indexed.

            bob gillis

            > I'm looking for the birth and death dates of Phebe (Merritt) Scott. She
            > died between 1888 and 1890 based on two different accounts I've found
            > (an online tree and her husband's obit). She lived in West Damascus,
            > Wayne Co, PA and her husband's (Richard Scott's) obit says he was buried
            > in Damascus, so it seems likely they are in the same plot.
            >
            > I have been in touch with the Wayne Co. Historical Society, but they
            > said they do not have burial listings for this couple.
            >
            > If anyone can check out the cemeteries in that area and possibly take a
            > picture of Phebe's stone or check local newspapers, I'd be happy to
            > reimburse you for gas and your time.
            >
            > Joy Weaver

          • Jennifer Robb
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 19, 2012
              I'm not sure what the requirements are for Find A Grave, but I do think they have volunteers who will go out to cemetaries and find/photograph headstones. You may want to check there.

              Jennifer Robb
              jrobb321@...

              Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] West Damascus, Wayne Co, PA cemetery help needed

              On 6/6/2012 9:24 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
              > Is anyone on this list from the area near W. Damascus, PA and willing to
              > check cemeteries and/ or local newspapers?

            • Bloodhound; Kermit
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 20, 2012
                There is another genealogy YahooGroup that I would recommend in this case - YahooGroup P_A_Penn specializes in Pennsylvania Genealogy (although other states are also covered)
                It has a knowledgeable moderator and lots of helpful Group members (718).
                The moderator is very good about trying to keep spammers off the list, so when you sign up she will send you an email asking for a return-email to verify you really are interested in genealogy. If you don't answer the email, she won't approve you to join.

                - Tom Knox

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis <robertgillis@...> wrote:

                > On 6/6/2012 9:24 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
                > > Is anyone on this list from the area near W. Damascus, PA and willing to check cemeteries and/ or local newspapers?
                >
                > I think the chances of anyone on this group being close enough to
                > Damascus Township and willing to check cemeteries are slim to none.
                > This groups is multinational, USA and at least Canada. ...
                > Asking on the PAWAYNE list and/or the Wayne MB on rootsweb may get you some answers and a response. Also look for Wayne County USGenWeb Archives
                > ... ...
                > bob gillis
                >

                > > I'm looking for the birth and death dates of Phebe (Merritt) Scott. She died between 1888 and 1890 based on two different accounts I've found (an online tree and her husband's obit). She lived in West Damascus, Wayne Co, PA and her husband's (Richard Scott's) obit says he was buried in Damascus, so it seems likely they are in the same plot.
                > > I have been in touch with the Wayne Co. Historical Society, but they said they do not have burial listings for this couple.
                > > If anyone can check out the cemeteries in that area and possibly take a picture of Phebe's stone or check local newspapers, I'd be happy to reimburse you for gas and your time.
                > > Joy Weaver

              • Crystal Payne
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 21, 2012
                  Jennifer you are correct. If a person knows where their rellie is born go to the FAG site, find the provdence, country, state, county, cemetery, whatever and see if the person is buried there. If they are you can use the little tab on the top right corner of the memorial to request a photo of that memorial, if it isn't already there. People from that area will receive notification that a picture request has been made for that area. If there is no listing and you know where they are born you can add all the info you need to about them and then still go to the tab and ask for a picture to be taken of the memorial. It is free to join and as you add memorials a tab is kept telling you how many memorials you have added and how many you maintain. Say you add one and then someone asks for ownership because it is there rellie. You might also add some and then someone will send you info on a person asking you to update the memorial, like the full obit or other pieces of info. Someone does not have to own the memorial to be able to add the picture. Picture credit is given as well since one person can open the memorial and another can add the picture. Someone else can add a personal picture to the memorial as well. You are supposed to own the pictures you add though. Like going to the newspaper and finding an obit with a picture isn't legal to add the picture unless you own it. I have never heard of anyone challenging that but I did read that in the FAQ's.

                  Crystalwww.lds.orgFiskateer #4543www.Civitan.orgCharter member of the Local Waynesboro Area CivitanWWW.findagrave.com member #46792320Today you are you, that truer than true, there's no one alivewho's youer than you. Dr. Seuss.

                  To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jrobb321@...
                  Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:08:09 -0400

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26, 2012
                    Thanks for the info. on Find A Grave, Crystal--and good to see you here!

                    Jennifer Robb
                    jrobb321@...

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jrobb321@...
                    Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:08:09 -0400

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 27, 2012
                      First, I'd like to thank all of you who have posted hints for me about
                      finding the grave of Phebe Merritt Scott.
                      I haven't responded yet because I've been trying to check out some of
                      these suggestions. In some cases, I'd already tried them, but some are
                      new to me.
                      I'll try to summarize here what I have done and what I know so far.
                      Phebe and her husband Richard are not indexed at Find-a-Grave and I
                      don't know what cemetery in the Damascus, PA area they are buried in, so
                      it's hard to make a request for a tombstone picture there. (Also, Wayne
                      Co. Historical Society did not have either Phebe or Richard in their
                      cemetery file). Someone asked if they might be across the NY border in
                      the Cochecton, NY area, but it does not seem likely. I did check that
                      at Find-a-Grave, just in case, though. Richard Scott was living with a
                      son in Lackawanna County after Phebe's death and his obit in a Scranton
                      newspaper specifically says his body was being sent by train to Damascus
                      for burial. This makes me think that he would be buried in a
                      pre-arranged plot next to Phebe.

                      It was also suggested that knowing their religion might help. According
                      to that obit, Richard had joined the Methodist Church at the age of 16
                      and was active in it all his life. It seems likely, then, that Phebe
                      was also Methodist, though one can never be sure of that. I have tried
                      to find their marriage record in a Methodist Church in the Ulster or
                      Orange County, NY area where they lived at the time, but have had no
                      luck so far. The Newburgh Circuit of the M.E. Church seems the most
                      likely, but published records end at 1834 and theirs isn't listed.
                      Filmed records at LDS end at 1836 (not sure how that can be? I haven't
                      sent for it yet) and their first child was born abt. 1839, so the
                      marriage may be just too late to make the cut or they could have been
                      married in a different church. I'm still exploring that.

                      I've also noted something I hadn't spotted before. According to the
                      1850 census (Newburgh, Orange Co, NY), Phebe was age 30. I can't find
                      them in 1860, but then in 1870 Phebe is 59 and in 1880, she is 67 (both
                      in Damascus, PA). That broadens her birthdate range to 1811-1820.

                      I had also mentioned that there was another Phebe Merritt, b. 1817 who
                      married a George Potter. I had concluded that these were not the same
                      person married twice and someone asked me why I came to that
                      conclusion. I have not been able to find much about this Potter couple
                      except for the New York City marriage of their daughter, Emily, in
                      1873. In the 1860 census in Marlborough, Ulster Co, NY, Emily Potter,
                      age 14 was living with a Woolsey family. (I found something relating
                      George Potter to the Woolseys, but can't think what it was this
                      minute). Anyway, if Emily was born in 1846, she was born to Phebe
                      Merritt Potter while Phebe Merritt Scott already had children with
                      Richard as early as 1839.

                      Bob Gillis wrote that he found Richard and Phebe in a file by Allan
                      Ranaur at Rootsweb WorldConnect. Bob, you must have magic fingers! I
                      can't find this there no matter how I enter search criteria!

                      So... I'm still working on finding the names of Phebe's parents. Haven't
                      made a request at PAWAYNE list, as suggested, yet. And I haven't
                      checked Methodist Churches in Wayne Co, PA yet. I think those are the
                      only suggestions I haven't followed up yet.

                      Joy Weaver
                    • Chris Emory
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2012
                        Hi Jennifer, thought I recognized your name from a scrapbook group, is it Cricutlovers or Cutterscreek? Anyhow, thank you. I am really enjoying the activity on this group with the opportunity to help others and get help as well.

                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                        From: jrobb321@...
                        Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:28:00 -0400
                        Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Now Find A Grave (Was West Damascus, Wayne Co, PA cemetery help needed)