Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Question on American Citizebship

  • lee taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
      This is a ever changing law, at one period of time American Citizen Women married  to a foriegn man she had to apply to become a American citizen.  Check with the NARA for the changing laws.

      Lee Taylor-Elliott

      Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten her's then also?

      Bob

    • bob gillis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
        It looks like the change occurred in 1922. See
        http://www.ourarchives.wikispaces.net/Naturalization

        On 6/6/2012 4:29 PM, Bob wrote:
        > Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire
        > family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually
        > the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know
        > when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband
        > getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten
        > her's then also?
      • Joy Weaver
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
          Yes, the wife would get her citizenship with her husband in 1910. The
          law changed in 1924.

          The children born outside the U.S. would also become citizens at that time.

          Joy Weaver