Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Revolutionary War Link and Sons of the American Revolution or DAR?

  • Suzanne Carpenter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
      Hi- the DAR patriot list is a public site.  The following link will take you to the page with Connelly on it.  The second one is Capt. Henry Connelly.  If you click on the right it will take you to the second page which list about 60 people who have joined the DAR under Capt. Henry Connelly.  Some of them show that they have supporting documention available.  Some show descendancy.

      Hope this helps

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
        I am sorry - I forgot to include the link!

        http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_adb/default.cfm

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
          Contact your local DAR they will have someone to help you with the process. Don't try to try it on line the fun part of DAR is the other ladies you will meet.

          Lee Taylor-Elliott

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
            If you're married you may have to submit your marriage license. You need your birth certificate, the birth and depending on their status, the death certificates of both parents, then the grandparents of the patriot line (birth and death) and so on unless you can tie into a relative who has previously applied via that same line. I had a great-aunt who was a member so I have to also prove my relationship to her. Right now I have a hiccup on mine because I didn't have birth and death records for my grandparents, I had used a census. So before you send in the application, be sure you have those things. I've also heard some folks say they've had to submit divorce records also. They want to have a clear line in case you have children or grandchildren that may want to join later down the road. It doesn't matter if it's a DAR or SAR ... if you can tie into one or the other as a relative of the applicant, it will be good.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn <carcross02@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > In doing my ancestor research I have found a connection to a Capt. Henry Connelly who served in NC during the Revolutionary War, he is my 5th Great-Grandfather. I have seen copies where other descendents applied to the Sons of the American Revoluntion, but I have not seen where anyone applied to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
          • Carolyn
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
              Thanks to all who answered this question

              Carolyn DeGroff
              The more we share; the more we learn.
              http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
              Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

            • genevieve.dutton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012
                I'm in the process right now and the women of DAR have been fabulous so far! My Patriot is on record with DAR but the only application for him has been another one of his son's lines, not my direct line, so I have to back quite a bit. I do have a lot of records through years of research and the only thing they said I needed was one thing I knew I would have to get anyway! :)

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn <carcross02@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > In doing my ancestor research I have found a connection to a Capt. Henry Connelly who served in NC during the Revolutionary War, he is my 5th Great-Grandfather. I have seen copies where other descendents applied to the Sons of the American Revoluntion, but I have not seen where anyone applied to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
                >
                > Has anyone else found information on either the Sons of the American Revolution or the Daughters of the American Revolution connected to an ancestor or has anyone applied to either organization? I would like to know what is required to apply and how difficult it is to obtain the necessary evidence to prove the relationship.
                >
                > Carolyn DeGroff
                > The more we share; the more we learn.
                > http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
                > Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

              • Dee H.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 20, 2012
                  how would you go about finding someone in your area?  I live in Bakersfield, CA and haven't seen much in the line of Gen groups around here.
                  Thank you

                  Dee H.
                  genluver_2@...

                  I cannot breathe life into you I can only be.

                  Contact your local DAR they will have someone to help you with the process. Don't try to try it on line the fun part of DAR is the other ladies you will meet.

                  Lee Taylor-Elliott

                • Sunny Shafer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 21, 2012
                    you can find a chapter near you here