Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Question on American Citizebship

  • Forrest Plumstead
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
      Check the citizenship section of the 1910 or if it happened after the
      census was taken try the 1920.

      --
      73
      WB5HQO Forrest

      NAQCC Member # 3678 FPQRP # 2642
      SKCC Member # 6855 QRPadillo # 59

    • James W Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
        The USCIS (the old Immigration and Naturalization Service' launched a genealogy section on their website a few years ago.  They might be able to answer the question, as well as provide some documents for a fee that exist after a certain point.

        ________________________________
        Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten her's then also?

        Bob

      • lee taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
          This is a ever changing law, at one period of time American Citizen Women married  to a foriegn man she had to apply to become a American citizen.  Check with the NARA for the changing laws.

          Lee Taylor-Elliott

          Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten her's then also?

          Bob

        • bob gillis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
            It looks like the change occurred in 1922. See
            http://www.ourarchives.wikispaces.net/Naturalization

            On 6/6/2012 4:29 PM, Bob wrote:
            > Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire
            > family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually
            > the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know
            > when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband
            > getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten
            > her's then also?
          • Joy Weaver
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
              Yes, the wife would get her citizenship with her husband in 1910. The
              law changed in 1924.

              The children born outside the U.S. would also become citizens at that time.

              Joy Weaver