Question on American Citizebship

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
      Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten her's then also?

      Bob
    • Forrest Plumstead
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
        Check the citizenship section of the 1910 or if it happened after the
        census was taken try the 1920.

        --
        73
        WB5HQO Forrest

        NAQCC Member # 3678 FPQRP # 2642
        SKCC Member # 6855 QRPadillo # 59

      • James W Anderson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
          The USCIS (the old Immigration and Naturalization Service' launched a genealogy section on their website a few years ago.  They might be able to answer the question, as well as provide some documents for a fee that exist after a certain point.

          ________________________________
          Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten her's then also?

          Bob

        • lee taylor
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2012
            This is a ever changing law, at one period of time American Citizen Women married  to a foriegn man she had to apply to become a American citizen.  Check with the NARA for the changing laws.

            Lee Taylor-Elliott

            Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten her's then also?

            Bob

          • bob gillis
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
              It looks like the change occurred in 1922. See
              http://www.ourarchives.wikispaces.net/Naturalization

              On 6/6/2012 4:29 PM, Bob wrote:
              > Ran into a question that I have no idea about. I know that the entire
              > family used to get their citizenship when the head of family, usually
              > the husband/father, was granted his citizenship. Does anyone know
              > when it changed? I am looking at an ancestor and IO find her husband
              > getting his citizenship in 1910 in New York. Would his wife gotten
              > her's then also?
            • Joy Weaver
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
                Yes, the wife would get her citizenship with her husband in 1910. The
                law changed in 1924.

                The children born outside the U.S. would also become citizens at that time.

                Joy Weaver