Revolutionary War Link and Sons of the American Revolution or DAR?

  • Carolyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
      Hi,
      In doing my ancestor research I have found a connection to a Capt. Henry Connelly who served in NC during the Revolutionary War, he is my 5th Great-Grandfather. I have seen copies where other descendents applied to the Sons of the American Revoluntion, but I have not seen where anyone applied to the Daughters of the American Revolution.

      Has anyone else found information on either the Sons of the American Revolution or the Daughters of the American Revolution connected to an ancestor or has anyone applied to either organization? I would like to know what is required to apply and how difficult it is to obtain the necessary evidence to prove the relationship.

      Carolyn DeGroff
      The more we share; the more we learn.
      http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
      Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

    • TinaS
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
        To prove your ancestor is just what you should already be doing. You will need actual documents that show your connection back to the ancestor and then documentation that they were part of the revolution.

        Here is a link about membership:

        http://www.dar.org/natsociety/become_member_how.cfm

        Happy Hunting!!

        Tina Stedman

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn <carcross02@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > In doing my ancestor research I have found a connection to a Capt. Henry Connelly who served in NC during the Revolutionary War, he is my 5th Great-Grandfather. I have seen copies where other descendents applied to the Sons of the American Revoluntion, but I have not seen where anyone applied to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
        >
        > Has anyone else found information on either the Sons of the American Revolution or the Daughters of the American Revolution connected to an ancestor or has anyone applied to either organization? I would like to know what is required to apply and how difficult it is to obtain the necessary evidence to prove the relationship.
        >
        > Carolyn DeGroff
        > The more we share; the more we learn.
        > http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
        > Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

      • Sunny Shafer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
          Funny this came in my inbox-I was just inquiring abt this and a friend emailed me back. She is a Regent in her area.

          She said if you have a proven patriot (one that is in DARs system and not 'closed'), you would need to prove from yourself to that member with documentation.
          Where you get to the point that you tie in, you would still show the lineage in the application, but for the documentation you would show as your resource 'DAR member xxxxx'

          Documenation from you to 'DAR member xxxxx' requires:
          your: birth cert, marriage
          parents: bc, marriage, death
          grandparents: bc, marriage, death
          ....back to 'DAR member xxxxx'.

          You have to be able to 'connect the dots' to tie from generation from the next.
          In the earlier generations where there may not be bc, or dc, they will accept wills, pension applications, obituaries, etc.
          Sunny
          IBSSG

          > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
          > From: carcross02@...
          > Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 07:33:38 -0700
          > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Revolutionary War Link and Sons of the American Revolution or DAR?
          >
          > Hi,
          > In doing my ancestor research I have found a connection to a Capt. Henry Connelly who served in NC during the Revolutionary War, he is my 5th Great-Grandfather. I have seen copies where other descendents applied to the Sons of the American Revoluntion, but I have not seen where anyone applied to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
          >
          > Has anyone else found information on either the Sons of the American Revolution or the Daughters of the American Revolution connected to an ancestor or has anyone applied to either organization? I would like to know what is required to apply and how difficult it is to obtain the necessary evidence to prove the relationship.
          >
          > Carolyn DeGroff
          > The more we share; the more we learn.
          > http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
          > Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

        • Suzanne Carpenter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
            Hi- the DAR patriot list is a public site.  The following link will take you to the page with Connelly on it.  The second one is Capt. Henry Connelly.  If you click on the right it will take you to the second page which list about 60 people who have joined the DAR under Capt. Henry Connelly.  Some of them show that they have supporting documention available.  Some show descendancy.

            Hope this helps

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2012
              I am sorry - I forgot to include the link!

              http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_adb/default.cfm

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
                Contact your local DAR they will have someone to help you with the process. Don't try to try it on line the fun part of DAR is the other ladies you will meet.

                Lee Taylor-Elliott

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
                  If you're married you may have to submit your marriage license. You need your birth certificate, the birth and depending on their status, the death certificates of both parents, then the grandparents of the patriot line (birth and death) and so on unless you can tie into a relative who has previously applied via that same line. I had a great-aunt who was a member so I have to also prove my relationship to her. Right now I have a hiccup on mine because I didn't have birth and death records for my grandparents, I had used a census. So before you send in the application, be sure you have those things. I've also heard some folks say they've had to submit divorce records also. They want to have a clear line in case you have children or grandchildren that may want to join later down the road. It doesn't matter if it's a DAR or SAR ... if you can tie into one or the other as a relative of the applicant, it will be good.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2012
                    Thanks to all who answered this question

                    Carolyn DeGroff
                    The more we share; the more we learn.
                    http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
                    Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

                  • genevieve.dutton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 9, 2012
                      I'm in the process right now and the women of DAR have been fabulous so far! My Patriot is on record with DAR but the only application for him has been another one of his son's lines, not my direct line, so I have to back quite a bit. I do have a lot of records through years of research and the only thing they said I needed was one thing I knew I would have to get anyway! :)

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn <carcross02@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > In doing my ancestor research I have found a connection to a Capt. Henry Connelly who served in NC during the Revolutionary War, he is my 5th Great-Grandfather. I have seen copies where other descendents applied to the Sons of the American Revoluntion, but I have not seen where anyone applied to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else found information on either the Sons of the American Revolution or the Daughters of the American Revolution connected to an ancestor or has anyone applied to either organization? I would like to know what is required to apply and how difficult it is to obtain the necessary evidence to prove the relationship.
                      >
                      > Carolyn DeGroff
                      > The more we share; the more we learn.
                      > http://www.artfire.com/users/CSDDesign
                      > Blog: http://csddesignbeadbits.blogspot.com/

                    • Dee H.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 20, 2012
                        how would you go about finding someone in your area?  I live in Bakersfield, CA and haven't seen much in the line of Gen groups around here.
                        Thank you

                        Dee H.
                        genluver_2@...

                        I cannot breathe life into you I can only be.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 21, 2012
                          you can find a chapter near you here
                          http://www.dar.org/natsociety/chapters.cfm