Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Asa MERRITT found 1880 Forestburgh, Sullivan Co., NY

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2012
      On 5/30/2012 9:26 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
      > Thanks for the suggestions, Bob.
      >
      > I was planning to post a follow-up today because one thing I'd forgotten
      > to look at before I posted the question turned out to be a huge
      > success. I found the following at Sullivan County, NY US Genweb: GLEN
      > COVE CEMETERY (Old School District Burying Ground) [Narrowsburg, NY]
      >
      > AD Merrit died Sept 19, 1868 AE 6y 11m 9d
      > Asa Merritt died Aug 15, 1888 AE 66y
      > his wife Harriet A Decker
      > "They rest from their (to--rs) their words do follow them"
      >
      > So now I have Asa's death date. Yesterday, a friend who lives in Albany
      > checked for a death certificate, but apparently none was filed. My next
      > step, I think, is to try the Town Clerk for Forestburgh where he lived
      > in 1880. I will also see if I can find a marriage record at a church in
      > Thompson, Sullivan Co., where I think he was married around 1855. I'm
      > not sure which church, but the most likely are Methodist and Baptist, so
      > I will be looking for those denominations first. (I've looked at the
      > FHC catalog, but it doesn't look promising). I will also check for a
      > baptism in the area of Marlborough, Ulster County, or Newburgh, Orange
      > County, around 1822. (A couple of microfilms in the FHC catalog look
      > like possibilities).

      What is ALL the info for Asa and family in the 1880 Census?

      > Any other thoughts about where I might find the names of Asa's parents
      > would be appreciated.
      Why do you think the Asa was born in Marlborough, Ulster Co., NY?

      Look in the 1830 - 1840 for Merritts in Ulster and Sullivan and Orange
      Counties. Check out families that have males that could have been born
      1820- 1830.

      Have you looked for him in the 1850 Census?

      Here he is:
      Name: Asa Merritt
      Event: Census
      Event Date: 1850
      Event Place: Thompson, Sullivan, New York, United States
      Gender: Male
      Age: 28
      Birthplace: New York
      Estimated Birth Year: 1822
      Dwelling House Number: 881
      Family Number: 892
      Line Number: 14
      NARA Publication Number: M432
      NARA Roll Number: 603
      Film Number: 444319
      Digital Folder Number: 004215526
      Image Number: 00132
      Household Gender Age Birthplace
      Asa Merritt M 28 New York
      Harriet Merritt F 23 New York
      Wm H Decker M 17 New York
      Nancy Munroe F 20 New York

      bob gillis
    • Joy Weaver
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2012
        Thank you again, Bob.

        I was not clear in my own mind when I gave the information about the
        1860 census and the probable 1855 marriage date. Here is what I have
        actually found: Asa & wife Harriet in Thompson, Sullivan Co, NY in 1850
        census; *not* found 1860; in 1870 in Damascus, Wayne Co., PA ; in 1880
        in Forestburgh, Sullivan Co, NY . Asa's dtr, Mary C. consistently b.
        1857 in PA.

        This search for information about Asa's parents began as a result of
        receiving an 85-page Civil War Invalid Pension record for David M.
        Taylor (enlisted 1862 at Albany, NY in 14th U.S. Inf.). David was the
        son of Nancy Jane Merritt, my husband's 2ggm. It is Nancy's parents I
        am really seeking. An interview in the pension file says that David
        once worked as a sawyer for his uncle Asa Merritt in Damascus, PA.
        Other interviews (and census records) say that David's wife was the
        daughter of Phebe Merritt and Richard Scott and that Phebe was the
        sister of David's mother. Phebe and Richard named a son Asa, which
        boosts the likelihood that Asa was Phebe's brother and therefore Nancy's
        brother as well. Nancy was born abt 1813 in the Town of Marlborough,
        Ulster Co, NY (State census and family records). Phebe and Richard are
        in the 1860 census in Newburgh, Orange Co, NY (which is quite common for
        people from Marlborough which is right on the Town of Newburgh border).
        Later, they lived in W.Damascus, PA.

        My reasoning is that Nancy Jane, Phebe and Asa are siblings and were
        born in or near Marlborough, Ulster Co. There are several branches of
        Merritts in that area, descending from a line who settled earlier in
        Westchester Co., NY. (The early settlers were Quakers, but the Ulster/
        Orange County descendants were mostly Methodist where I've found church
        records so far, except for one Baptist adult baptism). I have not found
        children named Nancy, Phebe and Asa in any Merritt line so far. There is
        a Phebe in one line, but may not be this Phebe.

        Nancy Jane Merritt married John Taylor and settled in Albany, NY. After
        his death around 1846, Nancy married James Burnside and moved to
        Schodack, Rensselear Co., NY. After her death in 1862, James and his
        children moved to Marlborough, leaving most of the Taylor children in
        Schodack. The reason for that move was that Nancy's oldest daughter had
        married a man from Marlborough and James was apparently in need of help
        in caring for his children who were still young. This strengthens the
        ties to Ulster Co. Nancy's daughter must have spent time with Merritt
        relatives there in order to have met and married a Marlborough man.
        (Sounds like a cigarette ad).

        I have 1850+ State and Federal census information for all of the above,
        but so far very little other documentation. You are right that I should
        look at 1820 - 1830 census for Merritts with at least a son and two
        daughters in the right age group. I will do that.

        I know that's a lot of information, yet still not enough perhaps. I
        hope it explains why I am looking for Asa's parents and why I believe he
        was born in Ulster Co. I am also looking for the marriage of Phebe
        Merritt and Richard Scott which should be in the Marlborough-Newburgh
        area around 1837 (based on oldest child's dob) and also Nancy and John
        Taylor's around 1830. I've looked in the Albany area, but am coming to
        think that Nancy may have married in Ulster or Orange Co. and then
        settled in Albany afterward.

        Joy Weaver