Re: [Genealogy Research Club] ada ?surname? (1846 - ?)

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 32 , May 28, 2012
      On 4/22/2012 6:50 PM, barbara erickson wrote:
      > Hi all, my biggest brick wall is Ada ( Addie ) Peters, maiden name
      > unknown. She was born abt 1846 in Ohio. I find her in the 1870 census
      > with her husband, John W. Peters and 1st son Charlie. In the 1880
      > census she is with her 2 sons, Charlie and John W. born 1872.The
      > husband has passed away. No info as to where or how he passed. Ada
      > and the boys live in Marion Co, Indiana. The son John W. is my
      > great-grandfather. I can't find Ada in the 1900 census or beyond. I
      > do find John W with his family but no Ada. If you need anything else
      > please let me know. Thanks for any help. Barb

      Without knowing where you have searched and other information pertinent
      to your search.

      Did they they live in Marion County, IN in 1870 and 1880? Are her ages
      in both census consistent with her being born circa 1846; what were
      they? How old was Charlie in 1870?
      Have you found the boy's births in Indiana, Births and Christenings,
      1773-1933

      Have you looked for her i.e. all Adas or Addies in other states?

      In the Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992 on FS there are 66 marriages from
      1880 to 1900 of a Peters √ in Marion. Look through the 66 and see is
      any have a given name similar to Ad/Addie or a middle initial A.

      There are 77 Peters √ marriages to Ada 1865-1870. Check them out.

      bob gillis
    • mg
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 4, 2012
         They are buried in St. Peter's in Clermont...not sure when they arrived but they are in several censuses.  He apparnetly dug graves from time to time but was probably also a farm laborer. She is definitely from County Kerry..I think it is likely that he was too.  I never saw any children listed.  I don't have my records with me as they are on my broken computer...I believe he was born around 1830.

        His name was spelled different ways..Bart, Batt, Crean, Crehan Creehan.

        It is possible he might be related to my ggm Eliza Crehan, who came somehow to US as an orphan..we heard by herself and she never heard from family again, but a little death story about her says she was from County Kerry and came with relatives.  I suspect that she is related to Batt and they reunited in the 1870s or so...

        From looking at County Kerry records, a large number of Creans seemed to come from Annascoul..the famous explorer Tom Crean did.

        Any help would be appreciated.  mg