Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Mary Jane McMillan was (Mary Jane McMillan and Eliza McGregor)

  • tinynit
    Message 1 of 32 , May 18, 2012
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis <robertgillis@...> wrote:

      > Eliza McGegor has been found

      Not sure what this means. I haven't found any record that fits her dates and her mother's "STENHOUSE" (or anything I can think of like it). But I'm not actively working on it now, other than what I couldn't find on ancestry.com.

      > Have you looked to see if Mary Jane McMillen Mclean had an obituary?
      > Join CAN-ONT-GREY and ask there. The only list you have posted to is
      > GENSMARTS

      Bob, I appreciate the suggestion. Right now I have about a month and a week left of my ancestry subscription and am trying to stay focused on finding as much as I can there. Then I plan to take a break from ancestry, clean up my Legacy Family Tree file which has been neglected, and try some other groups.

      I wish I could multi-task, but couldn't even when younger. I will definitely try the Can-Ont-Grey group then. I'm not very hopeful about an obit because this family has some difficulties. Mary Jane's husband didn't report her death as far as I can tell. I did find one death record that fits the info I've collected and family "stories." But it wasn't reported by a family member so far as I remember right now. I don't want to leave any possibility out, though, and when I join the group, will ask. My matenal and paternal grandparents all have history in Grey County so I definitely need to join the group!

      > Have you searched the Montreal and Quebec Passenger Arrivals? Go to
      > Library and Archives Canada at
      > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/index-e.html
      > > Immigration and Citizenship Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 at
      > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/index-e.html

      I did checkPassenger Arrival records but it was unproductive. There were a few Mary MCMILLANs about the right age, none had other names on the ship that meant anything. Usually the Mary MCMILLAN was a servant, as I remember. But there seemed no way to know if the person was "my" Mary Jane.

      > Look for both McMillan and Smail<

      There were no Smail's on board. On one of the census records it showed that John and Margaret Smail immigrated before Mary Jane was born.

      > It could be that the Smails were related to Mary Jane McMillen.

      I thought of that, but there seems no way that I know of (I am not an experienced researcher so easily could be missing a way to find out) to connect the families, especially since the Smails were from Scotland and Mary Jane from Ireland.

      > > I don't know if it would be possible to find a record in Ireland of a
      > > child born out of wedlock, even in Church records. I tried a few
      > > searches on sites that had names of some British Home Children, but
      > > no luck.
      >
      > The Irish births are by County
      >
      > You should join an Ireland list., there are 202 of them but many of
      > them are county and surname specific and ask how to find her birth record.

      Irish lists are also on my future agenda (plus Danish, but that's another story.) I have no idea what county since all records simply list her birthplace as "Ireland." But I have other Irish ancestors, including her husband whose parent's immigrated much earlier, so will need to join a list that focuses on his county at least. 202 sounds overwhelming, especially without a county. but I will try checking out surname specific ones.

      > Rest answered in another reply

      I'm not sure what you mean by another reply? Hasn't reached my mailbox anyhow. :)
      Thank you for the suggestions. When I am able I will follow up on joining the other groups.
    • mg
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 4, 2012
         They are buried in St. Peter's in Clermont...not sure when they arrived but they are in several censuses.  He apparnetly dug graves from time to time but was probably also a farm laborer. She is definitely from County Kerry..I think it is likely that he was too.  I never saw any children listed.  I don't have my records with me as they are on my broken computer...I believe he was born around 1830.

        His name was spelled different ways..Bart, Batt, Crean, Crehan Creehan.

        It is possible he might be related to my ggm Eliza Crehan, who came somehow to US as an orphan..we heard by herself and she never heard from family again, but a little death story about her says she was from County Kerry and came with relatives.  I suspect that she is related to Batt and they reunited in the 1870s or so...

        From looking at County Kerry records, a large number of Creans seemed to come from Annascoul..the famous explorer Tom Crean did.

        Any help would be appreciated.  mg