Asa MERRITT found 1880 Forestburgh, Sullivan Co., NY

  • Joy Weaver
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2012
      I am hoping to find a NY State Death Certificate for Asa MERRITT, b.
      abt. 1822 probably in Town of Marlborough, Ulster Co., NY. Last
      location I have for him is the 1880 census in which he is listed as age
      57. He had a wife, Harriet and daughter, Mary C., who was born in PA
      (they lived for awhile in Damascus, Wayne Co, PA, so likely born there)
      and was age 23 in 1880, single.

      I need at least an approximate date of death for him. I had hoped to
      find a will, but learned that Sullivan County probate records were
      destroyed in a fire.

      What I am really looking for is the names of his parents. According to
      Civil War pension papers of David M. TAYLOR, son of Nancy Jane MERRITT,
      Asa was his uncle. Nancy died in 1862, too early for NY State Death
      Cert., so I am hoping that her apparent brother, Asa, lived long enough
      after 1880 to have a NY State death certificate issued. Nancy was my
      husband's gggm.

      Joy Weaver
      Islip, NY
    • bob gillis
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2012
        On 5/18/2012 9:31 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
        > I am hoping to find a NY State Death Certificate for Asa MERRITT, b.
        > abt. 1822 probably in Town of Marlborough, Ulster Co., NY. Last
        > location I have for him is the 1880 census in which he is listed as age
        > 57. He had a wife, Harriet and daughter, Mary C., who was born in PA
        > (they lived for awhile in Damascus, Wayne Co, PA, so likely born there)
        > and was age 23 in 1880, single.
        >
        > I need at least an approximate date of death for him. I had hoped to
        > find a will, but learned that Sullivan County probate records were
        > destroyed in a fire.
        >
        > What I am really looking for is the names of his parents. According to
        > Civil War pension papers of David M. TAYLOR, son of Nancy Jane MERRITT,
        > Asa was his uncle. Nancy died in 1862, too early for NY State Death
        > Cert., so I am hoping that her apparent brother, Asa, lived long enough
        > after 1880 to have a NY State death certificate issued. Nancy was my
        > husband's gggm.

        Since you are active on a number of genealogy lists I assume you have
        done much of these already.

        Have you searched for him on the 1892 and 1905 NYS Census. I just tried
        the 1892 and no records founds so he must have died before 1892

        How old was Asa in in the 1850 - 1870 Census?

        Search for Merritts in Ulster County in the 1830 and 1840 Census.
        Follow through on those families that have a male in the right age
        groups to be Asa.

        bob gillis
      • Joy Weaver
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2012
          Thanks for the suggestions, Bob.

          I was planning to post a follow-up today because one thing I'd forgotten
          to look at before I posted the question turned out to be a huge
          success. I found the following at Sullivan County, NY US Genweb: GLEN
          COVE CEMETERY (Old School District Burying Ground) [Narrowsburg, NY]

          AD Merrit died Sept 19, 1868 AE 6y 11m 9d
          Asa Merritt died Aug 15, 1888 AE 66y
          his wife Harriet A Decker
          "They rest from their (to--rs) their words do follow them"

          So now I have Asa's death date. Yesterday, a friend who lives in Albany
          checked for a death certificate, but apparently none was filed. My next
          step, I think, is to try the Town Clerk for Forestburgh where he lived
          in 1880. I will also see if I can find a marriage record at a church in
          Thompson, Sullivan Co., where I think he was married around 1855. I'm
          not sure which church, but the most likely are Methodist and Baptist, so
          I will be looking for those denominations first. (I've looked at the
          FHC catalog, but it doesn't look promising). I will also check for a
          baptism in the area of Marlborough, Ulster County, or Newburgh, Orange
          County, around 1822. (A couple of microfilms in the FHC catalog look
          like possibilities).

          Any other thoughts about where I might find the names of Asa's parents
          would be appreciated.

          Joy

        • bob gillis
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2012
            On 5/30/2012 9:26 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
            > Thanks for the suggestions, Bob.
            >
            > I was planning to post a follow-up today because one thing I'd forgotten
            > to look at before I posted the question turned out to be a huge
            > success. I found the following at Sullivan County, NY US Genweb: GLEN
            > COVE CEMETERY (Old School District Burying Ground) [Narrowsburg, NY]
            >
            > AD Merrit died Sept 19, 1868 AE 6y 11m 9d
            > Asa Merritt died Aug 15, 1888 AE 66y
            > his wife Harriet A Decker
            > "They rest from their (to--rs) their words do follow them"
            >
            > So now I have Asa's death date. Yesterday, a friend who lives in Albany
            > checked for a death certificate, but apparently none was filed. My next
            > step, I think, is to try the Town Clerk for Forestburgh where he lived
            > in 1880. I will also see if I can find a marriage record at a church in
            > Thompson, Sullivan Co., where I think he was married around 1855. I'm
            > not sure which church, but the most likely are Methodist and Baptist, so
            > I will be looking for those denominations first. (I've looked at the
            > FHC catalog, but it doesn't look promising). I will also check for a
            > baptism in the area of Marlborough, Ulster County, or Newburgh, Orange
            > County, around 1822. (A couple of microfilms in the FHC catalog look
            > like possibilities).

            What is ALL the info for Asa and family in the 1880 Census?

            > Any other thoughts about where I might find the names of Asa's parents
            > would be appreciated.
            Why do you think the Asa was born in Marlborough, Ulster Co., NY?

            Look in the 1830 - 1840 for Merritts in Ulster and Sullivan and Orange
            Counties. Check out families that have males that could have been born
            1820- 1830.

            Have you looked for him in the 1850 Census?

            Here he is:
            Name: Asa Merritt
            Event: Census
            Event Date: 1850
            Event Place: Thompson, Sullivan, New York, United States
            Gender: Male
            Age: 28
            Birthplace: New York
            Estimated Birth Year: 1822
            Dwelling House Number: 881
            Family Number: 892
            Line Number: 14
            NARA Publication Number: M432
            NARA Roll Number: 603
            Film Number: 444319
            Digital Folder Number: 004215526
            Image Number: 00132
            Household Gender Age Birthplace
            Asa Merritt M 28 New York
            Harriet Merritt F 23 New York
            Wm H Decker M 17 New York
            Nancy Munroe F 20 New York

            bob gillis
          • Joy Weaver
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2012
              Thank you again, Bob.

              I was not clear in my own mind when I gave the information about the
              1860 census and the probable 1855 marriage date. Here is what I have
              actually found: Asa & wife Harriet in Thompson, Sullivan Co, NY in 1850
              census; *not* found 1860; in 1870 in Damascus, Wayne Co., PA ; in 1880
              in Forestburgh, Sullivan Co, NY . Asa's dtr, Mary C. consistently b.
              1857 in PA.

              This search for information about Asa's parents began as a result of
              receiving an 85-page Civil War Invalid Pension record for David M.
              Taylor (enlisted 1862 at Albany, NY in 14th U.S. Inf.). David was the
              son of Nancy Jane Merritt, my husband's 2ggm. It is Nancy's parents I
              am really seeking. An interview in the pension file says that David
              once worked as a sawyer for his uncle Asa Merritt in Damascus, PA.
              Other interviews (and census records) say that David's wife was the
              daughter of Phebe Merritt and Richard Scott and that Phebe was the
              sister of David's mother. Phebe and Richard named a son Asa, which
              boosts the likelihood that Asa was Phebe's brother and therefore Nancy's
              brother as well. Nancy was born abt 1813 in the Town of Marlborough,
              Ulster Co, NY (State census and family records). Phebe and Richard are
              in the 1860 census in Newburgh, Orange Co, NY (which is quite common for
              people from Marlborough which is right on the Town of Newburgh border).
              Later, they lived in W.Damascus, PA.

              My reasoning is that Nancy Jane, Phebe and Asa are siblings and were
              born in or near Marlborough, Ulster Co. There are several branches of
              Merritts in that area, descending from a line who settled earlier in
              Westchester Co., NY. (The early settlers were Quakers, but the Ulster/
              Orange County descendants were mostly Methodist where I've found church
              records so far, except for one Baptist adult baptism). I have not found
              children named Nancy, Phebe and Asa in any Merritt line so far. There is
              a Phebe in one line, but may not be this Phebe.

              Nancy Jane Merritt married John Taylor and settled in Albany, NY. After
              his death around 1846, Nancy married James Burnside and moved to
              Schodack, Rensselear Co., NY. After her death in 1862, James and his
              children moved to Marlborough, leaving most of the Taylor children in
              Schodack. The reason for that move was that Nancy's oldest daughter had
              married a man from Marlborough and James was apparently in need of help
              in caring for his children who were still young. This strengthens the
              ties to Ulster Co. Nancy's daughter must have spent time with Merritt
              relatives there in order to have met and married a Marlborough man.
              (Sounds like a cigarette ad).

              I have 1850+ State and Federal census information for all of the above,
              but so far very little other documentation. You are right that I should
              look at 1820 - 1830 census for Merritts with at least a son and two
              daughters in the right age group. I will do that.

              I know that's a lot of information, yet still not enough perhaps. I
              hope it explains why I am looking for Asa's parents and why I believe he
              was born in Ulster Co. I am also looking for the marriage of Phebe
              Merritt and Richard Scott which should be in the Marlborough-Newburgh
              area around 1837 (based on oldest child's dob) and also Nancy and John
              Taylor's around 1830. I've looked in the Albany area, but am coming to
              think that Nancy may have married in Ulster or Orange Co. and then
              settled in Albany afterward.

              Joy Weaver