Re: [Genealogy Research Club] One of my GIANT BRICKWALLS!!

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11 5:27 AM
      On 5/9/2012 7:29 PM, Kathy wrote:
      > One brickwall that the GRIGSBY researchers just can't find is the
      > wife of John Gore, Elizabeth Grigsby. She shows up as wife, mother,
      > but can't seem to find her as a child, so, her parents can't be
      > found. There are a lot of Grigsbys nearby and are probably related
      > to her, just no proof..Here is what I have on her:
      >
      > Elizabeth Grigsby, born 1760 in New Market, Shenandoah, Virginia.
      > Elizabeth moved with husband and children after Revolutionary War to
      > Overton County, Tennessee which is where she died September 4, 1847.

      What is the source of your information on her. There are no Historical
      Marriage records for this marriage, only Ancestral File or PDF trees
      most of
      which got their information from other similar sources. they only say
      that they were married 17 Dec 1781 in Shenandoah County, VA.

      Have you searched any of the 4 rootsweb lists that cover Shenandoah County.
      Fro the Wiki article on Shenandoah County:
      > Shenandoah County was established in 1772, it was originally named
      > Dunmore County for Virginia Governor Lord Dunmore. The county was
      > renamed Shenandoah in 1778, named for the Senedos Indian tribe.

      From the Shenandoah County Historical Society web site:
      > The County, formed from Frederick and Augusta....

      So she would not have been born in Shenandoah County even if she married
      at age 17-18 (born 1763). Look in Frederick and Augusta. counties for
      her birth.

      bob gillis