Re: [Genealogy Research Club] John Gorman (24 Jun 1852 - 2 Jul 1935) mainly in Jackson Champaign County.

  • bob gillis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23 6:50 AM
      On 4/22/2012 6:10 PM, TinaS wrote:
      > I am trying to locate the parents of John Gorman, Birth: 24 Jun 1852
      > in Circleville, Ohio and Death: 2 Jul 1935 in Champaign County, OH.

      Per the 1860 Census on familysearch.org there are four Gormans living
      in Pickaway County, Ohio:
      John Gorman, Monroe Township 35 years
      Birthplace: Ireland. Page: 78 Family Number: 517

      James 30 ,Circleville City 3 Ward, Age: 30 years Birthplace: Ireland
      Page: 93, FN 676

      Thomas Gorman, Circleville City 3rd Ward
      Age: 20 years. Birthplace: Ireland, Page: 93, Family Number: 676

      Daniel Gorman, Ward: Monroe Township
      Age: 5 years, Birthplace: Ohio
      Page: 81, Family Number: 528

      The whole family is not shown on the FS transcription, ; I cannot figure
      out why there are no females.

      In a previous message Tina said
      > Include in your post.... 1. Exactly what are you looking for? 2. All
      > the information you already have? 3. Where have you looked? 4. Your
      > evidence for your assumptions.

      You should give the county where a town is located.

      > I have his death certificate which tells me who his parents are and
      > where/when he was born.

      The information on a death record is often wrong. Get records closer to
      the birth. On a scale of - (incorrect) and , 0-3 I rate it a 0 or 1
      unless confirmed.
      What is shown on the Ohio Marriage Record? With whom was he living in 1870?

      Look for the Pickaway men entering the USA and John and Catherine using
      the Castle Garden form on http://www.stevemorse.org/
      They entered before 1855

      > I am trying to find more information on John's parents, John and
      > Catherine Gorman. They are both from Ireland. I would also like to
      > find John and his parents in the 1860 census. I just can not find
      > any information.

    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23 9:16 AM
        Tina -

        referring back to your query (& info) in 2009 -

        > Mr. John Gorman, son of John and Catherine Gorman, was born near
        > Circleville, ohio june 24, 1852 and departed this life July 2, 1935
        > at the age of eighty-three and seven days.
        > When quite a young man his mother was called away, leaving him
        > in the care of an uncle in Columbus, Ohio. In his early teens
        > he went to Greene County. His father passed away May 26, 1897.
        > After his marriage, they moved to Jackson Township, Champaigne
        > County, Ohio. They had 7 children.
        > He left behind a brother, Mr. Daniel Gorman of New London;
        > and one sister, Mrs. Nellie Brady of Columbus and many other
        > relatives and friends.

        Do you have any info or censuses on the father (d.1897) ?
        Do you have any info or censuses on the siblings (Daniel & Nellie) ?

        In 1930 I do not find a Dan* Gorman in New London (Huron County),
        but I do find a Nellie M Brady (b.ca.1879) in Columbus OH -
        1930 Columbus, Franklin, Ohio
        Brady, Harry A/52, Nellie M/51:OH:OH:OH, Victory W/24

        A sister who is 27 years younger?
        That implies that John, Daniel & Nellie (Ellen or variant?)
        were part of a (very) large and extended family.

        Nellie Brady's parents born OHIO?
        That doesn't match John Gorman's parents having been reported
        as boing born IRELAND -
        1930 Jackson, Champaign, Ohio
        Gorman, John/77:OH:Ireland:Scotland, Anna M/76

        > I have his death certificate which tells me who his parents are
        > and where/when he was born.

        Would you please fill us in?
        What information is on the d/c that might helps us find him in 1860?

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "TinaS" <tolksteel@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to locate the parents of John Gorman, Birth: 24 Jun 1852 in Circleville, Ohio and Death: 2 Jul 1935 in Champaign County, OH.
        >
        > I have John in the 1870 census in Greene County, OH. He got married to Anna Mary Beck 17 Sept 1874.
        >
        > 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 he is in Jackson, Champaign County, Ohio. He died 2 Jul 1935. I have his death certificate which tells me who his parents are and where/when he was born.
        >
        > I am trying to find more information on John's parents, John and Catherine Gorman. They are both from Ireland. I would also like to find John and his parents in the 1860 census. I just can not find any information.
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
        >
        > Tina Stedman

      • bob gillis
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23 12:04 PM
          On 4/23/2012 12:16 PM, Bloodhound; Kermit wrote:

          snip
          > In 1930 I do not find a Dan* Gorman in New London (Huron County),
          > but I do find a Nellie M Brady (b.ca.1879) in Columbus OH -
          > 1930 Columbus, Franklin, Ohio
          > Brady, Harry A/52, Nellie M/51:OH:OH:OH, Victory W/24
          >
          > A sister who is 27 years younger?
          > That implies that John, Daniel& Nellie (Ellen or variant?)
          > were part of a (very) large and extended family.
          >
          > Nellie Brady's parents born OHIO?
          > That doesn't match John Gorman's parents having been reported
          > as being born IRELAND -

          The birth locations of parents on a Census have a low surety. We do not
          know who gave the information. She is worth checking out.

          bob gillis
        • TinaS
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23 2:33 PM
            Sorry, Tom!! I had knee surgery on friday and I forgot to include that in the query. Teaches me not to get to technical while on drugs!!

            I have not been able to prove that john and catherine gorman are his parents. The only proof of that is the obit below and his death certificate. His marriage certificate tells no information at all. Thanks to the obit, I did find John in Greene County in the 1870 census. I have never been able to conclusively find my John Gorman in the 1860 census or find his parents in the 1850. I am just running out of places to look since there are so many John Gormans!!

            Below are the transcripts of the death and marriage cert. Yes, these are only transcripts but I have looked at the original documents and they do not add any new information. The informant for the death certificate was his wife.

            Any suggestions of anything I am missing?

            ame: John Gorman
            titles & terms:
            event: Marriage
            event date: 17 Sep 1874
            event place: Montgomery, Ohio
            age: 21
            birth date:
            birthplace:
            marriage date note:
            marriage place note:
            estimated birth year: 1853
            father:
            father's titles & terms:
            mother:
            mother's titles & terms:
            spouse: Anna Mary Beck
            spouse's titles & terms:
            spouse's age: 18
            spouse's birth date:
            spouse's birthplace:
            spouse's estimated birth year: 1856
            spouse's father:
            spouse's father's titles & terms:
            spouse's mother:
            spouse's mother's titles & terms:
            reference number: 1874-1879 p147
            film number: 1030839
            digital folder number: 4017457
            image number: 109
            Source Citation
            "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XZBH-6JM : accessed 23 April 2012), John Gorman (1874).

            Death cert

            name: John Gorman
            titles & terms:
            event: Death
            event date: 02 Jul 1935
            event place: Jackson Township, Champaign, Ohio
            residence: St. Paris
            street address:
            gender: Male
            death age: 83y9 0m 8d