Brick Wall: Adam EYRE c1771-1849

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2012
      Adam EYRE was b: PA, DE or WV, d: Harrison cnty, OH; md: 1st Sarah LARKIN,
      md: 2nd Sarah Hurford.
      I have him in the 1820, 1830 and 1840 US censuses.
      Adam d: intestate c 1848-1849.
      His second wife, Sarah HURFORD, survived him and remarried.
      From The Ohio Democrat, New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas County, Ohio,
      May 13th, 1880 (p. 2)

      Harrison County Records in a Blaze
      On Thursday morning, April 29th, a fire broke out in the witness room
      of the Court House at Cadiz. The Court library was entirely
      destroyed; two volumes of the record of the Court for a period of fifteen
      years back, were badly damaged, and the records for fifteen
      years prior to that, entirely destroyed. The fire is supposed to have
      originated by a lighted cigar being thrown in a wooden spittoon. The Court
      House proper was not damaged. The inside of the witness room was entirely
      burnt out.
      Carol W Bell's book, Ohio Wills & Estates, lists estate paperwork available
      on p.331 in the Harrison cnty, OH guardianship journal p.331 but I've been
      unable to find them altho they had to have survived the courthouse fire
      given the date of the publication of Bell's book.

      I'd like to find that paperwork and also any land records for Adam EYRE in
      Ohio.

      EYRE is pronounced AIR w/various phonetic spellings and is sometimes
      spelled w/an S on the end of the name.