Re: need suggestions where to go for research.

  • Shirley Patrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
      i joined Genealogybank.com

      I found three articles date 12 mar 1906, 13 march 1906, and 1 Mar 1907 1st
      article tell of the killing, 2nd says said uncle posted bond, 3rd article
      says he was aquited this is all in Harlingen, Cameron Co., TX these were
      all printed in the Dallas Morning News.

      Family story is that Lon was with a Judge and the man Theodore Dix had
      threatened the judge. My Dad thought the Judge had killed the man and Lon
      said he did because if Lon did the killing he would be tried in the Judge's
      court. If the judge did the killing he would be tried in another judge's
      court.

      Dix's family says he was killed by cattle rustlers.

      Dix was buried in bayview cemetery and a web site about the people burried
      inBayView Cemetery in Corpus Christi. This article says Dix had threatened
      Lon.

      I have since found two more articles on Dix in Genealogybank.com
      both printed in Dallas Morning New

      31 Dec 1903 by line Corpus Christi
      Dix stole horses and a mule and some one sold them at a real low price and
      the Texas Ranger investigated this article told what happened and that Dix
      and the other man involved had posted bond.

      101 Feb 1889 by line corpus christi.
      Dix was let go after the third trial for a murder he supposed committed.
      Jury was hung for the 3rd time.

      From Genealogybank.com : Dallas Morning news 12 July 1889
      by line Ledbetter Texas 11 July 1889

      Dr. T. J. Jordan, a resident of this place, was killed here today about
      1:30 o'clock p. m. by Lon Hill of Manor. THe origin of the difficulty that
      caused the killing is unknown. Hill was taken to Giddings by the sheriff
      of Lee County this morning.

      Family lore is that this man spent the night in the house with Lon's wife
      and children when Lon was not home. Lon walked up and shot the man point
      blank. My Dad also said that his grandfather paid someone to help get Lon
      off. My may has read Great Grand father's journal and says you can see
      when GGrandfather wealth took a hit.